ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Coloring black and white EQ

Mkal

One of the things I liked to do when I was younger was to make copies of the b&w EQ magazines and then color them in. At first, I used colored pencils, then I moved on to Prismacolor markers. Now, with the age of digital imagery, I have been looking at coloring with my tablet.

Mkal

Cutter and Redlance

Cutter_Redlance

Mkal

My attempt at recoloring a whole page when I first got a hold of digital paint....

eq1_2 50%

Mkal

Will have others to show...

Embala

I'll love to see more :)

The Dreamberry Tales page is a good start ... tho Skywise looks like he's growing a beard.
Cutter and Redlance in the forest night turned out great.

shadryx

Speaking of color, I recently decided to reread the whole series(this time in the right order) and found all of the color graphic novels that exist and bought them from Amazon. I've never seen the original quest in color before, it's amazing! I'm currently in issue 12, where they are the "guests" of Blue Mountain. When I finish all of those, I'll go to the read it now section and fill in the gaps.

shadryx

I particularly like your coloration of Cutter and Redlance, by the way. I'm going to have to keep track of this thread to see more of your work.

Mkal

Embala said: tho Skywise looks like he's growing a beard.

Yeah, I was still working with shading...

Mkal

shadryx said: 'm going to have to keep track of this thread to see more of your work.

Thanks!

Mkal

Screen shot 2014-07-25 at 11.55.50 PM

jeb

These look really great!

You were smart to make copies for your coloring. I did mine directly in the issues themselves, mostly with crayon!

Embala

Mkal said: Yeah, I was still working with shading...
I've figured.

Couldn't help to point it out because - of all Wolfriders - it was Skywise! ;)
This contrast beween dark pale shadows and pale glaring light is great - especially with the spot of light on Skywise's face.

(edited to fix typos)

Mkal

jeb said: You were smart to make copies for your coloring. I did mine directly in the issues themselves, mostly with crayon!

There is one comic where a panel had been defiled...

Mkal

Fixed the shading issue...

DreamberryTale002

Mkal

Ember_Color

Embala

Now he's well known cheeky mischievous Skywise... ;)

A true Firehead!

Mkal

Screen shot 2014-07-29 at 4.35.51 PM

Embala

Awesome Voll.

shadryx

Not bad at all!

Mkal

Scouter_&_Cutter_Color

Thornbrake

Nice luminous eyes on Cutter!

Mkal

Thornbrake said: Nice luminous eyes on Cutter!

Thanks. :)

Thornbrake

Actually, on both of them!

travelbug

Lovely colorings :)
I definetly agree anout the luminous eyes. Perfect :)

Leanan

These are great! Especially the last one.

Embala

*absolutely agrees*

Tamarien ChangeStone

Oh . . I just love the Scouter and Cutter. I would put that on my wall for sureness.

You have a great eye for color MYKAL. Thank you for sharing !

Mkal

I enjoy doing it and I love being able to pass my joy along to others. :)

Sadachbia

Dunno if this counts, since the original I used was in colour, but it was fun anyway. xD I've always felt that Wendy's art in Hidden Years and on the back-cover pinups, anything with coloured lineart, was among her most beautiful work, and I need to practise inking and colouring digitally for my own comics…soooo I did this as an experiment. I know it's not as good as most other digital artists can do (I doubt I'll ever be as skilled as Wendy or Sonny), but I'm still learning.

sabm01-3web

Mkal

I think it works :)

Embala

@Sadachbia It counts for sure. :) And it works well!

I like the fluffy quality of the sleeves fur, the careful treatment of the belt and the highlights of the hair. The way you've colored it Kahvi's face looks even more "scared" ... the only picture I can remember where it looks like she has scars.

travelbug

I love the way you have colored her eyes with that lovely green color.

I'm very impressed by your digital coloring, both of you. I have no idea how you do it :D

Blue_Coyote

Mkal- I love your shading, nice use of cool colors on Voll it makes him look so aloof and distant, and the dappled shadows on Scouter and Cutter are lovely. I think Ember though is a bit dark, the others have a luminous quality that others noted, she looks sort of idk, fire-lit rather than moonlit.
Sadachbia- Kahvi has such intense eyes in this they are great, and the fur is very plush, but I think you lightened the lines on the metal parts a little much, it makes them look part of her costume. Black lines next to white/grey help make metal look hard and sharp.

Sadachbia

Thanks, all! ^^ Shout out to http://redheadstock.deviantart.com/, from whom I've downloaded a lot of great Photoshop brushes (including the fur ones I used for the shading on the fur parts).

The nice thing about working in colour is that sometimes you can do away with lineart altogether; when I drew in the lines on Kahvi's face, figuring they were scars, they just look so clunky with normal lineart around them in addition to the pinker/slightly shinier scar tissue, so I just erased that part of the lineart. ^^

As for the metal, yeah, it is pretty close to the colour behind it; but again, like scars and some other stuff, lineart on shiny metal looks kind of weird and not really natural (as natural as worked metal can be, anyway). I should have added a deeper gradient or something.

Sadachbia

So, here's a page from the Original Quest compilation I bought off Dark Horse Digital…

I learned two important things doing this:
1. If I'm going to be shading a dark-ish scene in hues of purple, I need darker purpler lineart or it looks weird.
2. Photoshop brushes can be rotated!

I'm using what I learned here in one of my fancomics (obviously still in progress):

Embala

@Sadachbia I like what you did with Redlance's face and skin. These shadows and bruises make me feel the torture he was going through.

I figure your fan comic is a WIP, Sadachbia ... but I love the eerie quality it has right now.

Mkal

Blue_Coyote said: she looks sort of idk, fire-lit rather than moonlit.

Yes, that was the look I was going for.