ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

The EQ Alternaverse Returns...

manga

A couple of points, Vaeri;

1) Because Leetah has not brought non-elfin creatures back to life does not mean she can't. I think her personal healer's code would prevent her.

2) Leetah has brought elves back from the dead twice. (Herself and One-Eye.) Thus it could be argued that she has a greater understanding of the elfin body than Melati who has only done so once and with mixed results.

Hm, wait, she wasn't part of the Palace War, was she? Maybe Alternaverse Leetah doesn't have the same track record.

Anyway, my point is that Leetah may have knowledge about elf bodies and especially elf brains that Melati doesn't and which may be key for the saga of Melati, Yosha and Beast.

Vaeri

i rather doubt she could bring them back to life...i don't see how her healers code prevents her. she continues to go on about how she preserves life and the such. what could be greater than negating death entirely?

and yeah in this universe, Leetah only healed herself..and she was never completely dead, nor way one-eye. both were on the brink of death and staring it in the face, so to speak. entirely different from what Mel does, leaving creatures dead for extended periods of time and then bringing them back to life.

i personally do not think Leetah has this knowledge. frankly Winnowill probably didn't either. i think Mel is the first elf to ever do this sort of thing, and that is why i think she has probably the greatest healing skill ever.

manga

What could be worse than failing to heal and leaving a creature in some kind of half state? Leetah's personal healing code would prevent her from playing God with life, whether animal or elfin. Sure Melati can heal death now but what about the mistakes she must have made on the way? Not everyone would consider that a trade worth making.

wingthing

Ooh, spirited debate! Me likee!

No, Melati doesn't know that Leetah basically brought herself to the brink of death and back again. If she did, she'd probably have a lot more respect for Grandma. Or... she might just sneer and say "Oh, so you didn't even tryto bring Thiro back? Pfft -some grand romance there!"

Does Leetah have a greater knowledge of life and death than Mel? I would say their practical knowledge is probably equal - ie. Leetah could train herself to do all the Tenth-Level Zombiefication Mel favors, if she wanted to. But she never would. Her code of ethics make the whole notion utterly inconceivable. Oohhh, the sparks are gonna fly when she discovers just what her grand-baby's been up to!

But that won't be for a while yet. ;)

In the meantime, the final part of The Nature of the Beast is up and running.

Plus... drumroll... a look at "The Master of the Shapechanged" courtesy of Sun Girl.

Beast is all about self-improvement. You'll see glimpses of his transformation throughout the fic.

Vaeri

ooooh, final part!yay!

and yeees, i knew there'd be art!!...he...has a tail..and claws..O.o..the face is handsome though, even if it is scarred.

...i will read final tomorrow to do it justice.

Vaeri

wow, very stirring...so one wonders, are children and recognition possible in the future?...what would happen if Mel could restore the sending part of the brain, to allow Beast to hear her? possibilities...an ending without an end.

travelbug

Can't wait to put the kids to bed so I can read this :)

lunakat

Wait a sec- why is he part animal? How did I miss this?

wingthing

Happens by the end of Part 3. Beast's been watching Mel flesh-shaping and he wants some upgrades. Claw-hand for killing things, claw-feet for climbing rocks, and a tail for... well, the tail is just for lookin' fly! ;)

Vaeri

.....i just wondered. we got Mel and Beast for Halloween....who are we going to get for the family based holidays next? let's see some of the new familes!!^^

Soreyes

wingthing said: Oohhh, the sparks are gonna fly when she discovers just what her grand-baby's been up to!

Well sparks, rocks, and anything else not nailed down

:D

wingthing

A little sneak peek at the next fic to go up: "Strange Bedfellows", chronicling some of the more... unexpected Recognitions to hit the Alternaverse.

He had always known the day would come; he knew it was only a matter of time before his body would demand a chance to procreate. Recognition was the keenest of all evolution’s instruments – it ensured the creation of only the fittest specimens; certainly his bloodline was more than deserving of perpetuation. Through all his many ancestors, he was descended from Lord Haken himself twenty times over. And his many physical and mental achievements recommended his blood highly. He was doing his people a great service, and with such little effort, when all was said and done. This… temporary conjunction – unpalatable as it was – was simply another of the many small chores he had to perform as a pillar of the community.

He just wished Sust would stop laughing.

Soreyes

Oh just what I was waiting for. The one that makes me laugh is Dart and Ember =))

travelbug

Looking forward to this :D

Vaeri

heeey i called it! families for the holidays! whoo hoo! definitely looking forward to the recognitions!!<3

so fitting and hilarious that Sust is ever in the background, laughing his butt off at his lifemate.^^

wingthing

Strange Bedfellows is online!
Features the Recognitions and (fallouts of same) of: Dart+Ember, Fisher+Gypsy Moth, Fennec+Meerkat and Coppersky+Tass.

Blackbird

Wow...that's going to be interesting...:D
When will the art come? :D

Vaeri

yeeeees! must read soon!!

Soreyes

Very well done. I found the Dart and Ember story to be Bitter Sweet.

I think someone should come along and kick Copperskys butt.... just to take him off his high horse. ;)

wingthing

One last fic for 2014... Blood Ties - the tale of Scouter and Leetah.

Coming in 2015: The Alternaverse takes on Final Quest!

Vaeri

oooooh...leetah and scouter!! what fuuuun. and yeees! Final Quest, Alternaverse style!!*fist pumps*

travelbug

What a bittersweet story. I love this one :)

manga

Oh my. Leetah's determination to fight death versus Melati's apparent success in that battle... Oh, oh oh. This is going to be epic.

lunakat

I love how you deal with old age.

Vaeri

i think what's going to be epic to see what happens to Melati, cause i keep thinking at the end of Nature of the Beast, it seems like she's rather lost her mind.

i had a thought on how i hoped we would see some other events that happened in the past, but now i can't remember them...though i thought of a new one. perhaps Venka becoming chief?...though i do wonder, if Tass doesn't have the nature to be chief, and we don't know enough about Tufts....who will be the Wolfrider's chief after Venka?

manga

Vaeri, neither Swift nor Venka are mortal. Why would there need to be anyone to be chief after Venka?

lunakat

They could still accidentally die or be killed.

manga

I'm not disagreeing that another next-in-line might not be necessary; it just doesn't seem like a very strong probability and thus not something Swift and Venka have really been concerned about. I suppose there's always the child of Tass and Coppersky who could be more "cheify" than Tass.

Vaeri

well Swift is immortal, but she still ended up passing the lock onto Venka. i never said anything about dying, now did i? but that doesn't change the fact the chief could simply become BORED. or decide they've done their work as chief, and to let the younger generation take over so they can relax.

and Tufts is the child of Tass and Coppersky, but we don't know much about her, aside from the fact she's a freetouch, and she likes to shave her head. doesn't sound particularly wolfridery to me, or chief like.

lunakat

I bet, eventually, they just end up electing a chief.

wingthing

Ye-e-ah, as long as the whole Blood of Chiefs system is in place, Venka can really never retire. Tass... (Spoiler Alert!) does eventually become a half-decent bookkeeper, but her answer to any problem is usually "bribe it or blast it with magic". And while Tufts would make a good hunt-leader, any Holt she gets put in charge of will end up looking like the dregs of Spring Break within a month. Tass's self-indulgence + Coppersky's superiority + Sust's common sense = Not chiefy material.

I think whenever Venka needs a break she just calls Mom up on the Sunstream-skype and says "Hey, wanna swap off for a while?"

Vaeri

poor venka...ah well. maybe one of Sunstream's grandcubs could take over. he is still blood of chiefs. or Venka and Zhantee could have another recognition. or Tufts if she ever has a cub...as long as there is the bloodline, there is hope!...after all, Redlance's grandson took over the Grandfather tree holt.

wingthing

Oh, I think Venka's quite happy to be chief for the foreseeable future. Under all that tranquility, she's got a touch of her dad's megalomania. "Go on, Mother, go on another quest. I'll be just fine looking over the tribe... no no, don't worry about when you're coming back, you just enjoy yourself. You too, Father. Go, shoo... I have new laws to implement and social programs to launch."

Vaeri

....haaa, venka doing laws and social programs. no idea how that would work, but i'm sure venka would figure it out!

...also, i just fully realized something. i was suspicious, but it seems to font formating, like italics, and some sentences, have gone missing from the tales. like reading culture shock, Swift's "there's something else" is regular, as is Rayek's previous "you are having a litter!". was this intentional or accidental?

wingthing

oh, that's probably my new webdesign software deciding to vex me. I know I lost a lot of italics when I was first transferring text over. A lot of formatting I had to go back and do manually, so I'm sure I missed a lot. Basically every time I re-read a tale "live" I go "Drukk it!" and end up in File Manager tweaking errors.

...to think, I wrote those first stories in Netscape Composer! ;))

Vaeri

ah. the joys of technology. *eye roll* at least it'll be eventually corrected...if nothing else, try the way back machine. it has all the original tales and stuff, along with the formating, if you can't remember. i have no idea what Netscape composer is....i've always used microsoft office or open writer.

Vaeri

i just had a thought...i was reading Journey's End, and remembered Partings..and how in Partings, we learn there are a fair amount of elves living there, some even bonded with different animals aside from wolves..including a cubling Bearrider.

and i remembered a line from...somewhere..that though the wolfpack has changed much, the tribe has changed little, with no/few births..so few births=/= large tribe?

until speculation popped in...probably elves of other tribes liked the wolfriders way of living, and adopted it. but my question is, could there possibly be any elves from the Bay who begin living as a Wolfrider, or equivilant? it's a rather nice image, some kid from Green Moon Bay who visits the Evertree, and just becomes...enamored with the lifestyle, the wildness.

....it'd definitely be interesting to learn about the new folk who live at Evertree, now that we've learned about the folk at Oasis.

wingthing

Oh...its certainly not outside the realm of possibility that someone from the Islands might decide to go "Back to Basics" - though they'd probably be happier setting up a campground near the Great Holt - more familiar scenery.

Actually... some of those raptor-riders from Hearthstone would probably be into an exchange program. "Pft, you wolfriders think you're hardcore? Look what WE got!"

The Evertree has changed a lot since its early days - the wolfriders don't reproduce fast, but all those go-back refugees from Loose Ends do! They had shaken things up a lot by the time Redlance died, and by the time we see them again in Alternaverse Final Quest... let's just say the elders like Littlefire have their hands full.

Vaeri

well i'll be a fan and enjoy the image of a Bay elf living at the Evertree. XD love the "back to basics" mentality though, so perfectly fitting. and ohh boy, the raptor riders in forest, competing with the wolfriders?...definitely keep those two animals seperated, a fight between them would not end well!

hmm...does that mean a good chunk of those go backs did stay at the holt? interesting indeed...and if they're that much of a handful, the poor elders! XD now my curiosity about the Evertree currently has been piqued.

...speculations are fun.^^

wingthing

A new fic is up! Rayek and Swift both get a "growth spurt" as the Alternaverse jumps another few thousand years ahead in Rogue's Rendezvous.

manga

Oh, Wingthing, that was glorious! I shall kiss it and hug it and squeeze it, though probably not call it George... I've said before and I'll say again how much I love the way you weave the canon and your own threads. Also, PLEASE tell me there are pictures of this new Swift and Rayek forthcoming. Your descriptions were awesome but I really have to see this!

Vaeri

yeeeeees!!! new fic! new fic! must read!!....tomorrow after comforting my sulky boyfriend.

Vaeri

ayup, ditto what manga said. would love to see the new swift and rayek!

also very interesting what's gone on....i certainly hope we'll learn about what happened in the past!

lunakat

Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this one.

wingthing

Happy ever-so-slightly-belated Valentine's Day.

Have some shameless fluff, featuring Klipspringer and Cholla.

manga

Www, nice and sweet. Thanks,Wingthing!

Vaeri

oh yaaaay fluffiness!! i shall enjoy reading this!...i wonder if these elves will invent chocolate. XD

Soreyes

That was a very nice story. I think Cholla is becoming one of my favorite characters.

Vaeri

it was very sweet. i love how they have the bond at first sight going on!!

Cholla has certainly picked up some of her brothers traits. i wonder if she'd ever be able to be completely healed?...or if Melati or someone else figured out the trick to growing new shells, and she got one.

hmm...if Cholla got a new shell, do you think she'd change anything about her appearance? new hair color?

manga

I make no claims to being an expert on Melati, but in my head I hear her sneer "Psh! A whole new shell for one pitiful heart defect? That's for the limited. I'll grow exactly what she needs and make a simple transfer." Because, you know, heart transplants are so easy.
(This was inspired by Vaeri's comment and remembering what Melati had said about flesh gardens for growing what you need.)

Vaeri

alright then, if someone DID take an entirely new shell, who do you think would be the most likely to do it for an aesthetic change?

manga

You know, with the 10th level zombification that Melati can do, I wonder if she couldn't stop Cholla's heart, do a complete reshaping, then revive Cholla. Cholla seems to have made peace with her life but if she decides she wants a pregnancy, or has a Recognition, such a procedure may become necessary.

As for your question, Vaeri, I don't know. I'm not sure the elves care enough about appearances to bother specifying a change. Though I suppose a few might say "hm, I think I want to be female this time." or such like.

Or maybe Leetah will make herself look more like Swift in an attempt to lure Rayek back... ;)

wingthing

manga said: Cholla seems to have made peace with her life but if she decides she wants a pregnancy, or has a Recognition, such a procedure may become necessary.

Did you hack my fics folder, Manga? ;)
Oh, there is def. more to Cholla's medical history - Melati has some big plans in the works, but I shall say no more for now. Because I'm evil that way. \m/

manga

Sweet. \m/

Vaeri

haaaa, spoiler!! :p i would enjoy seeing that. imagine the shock...and the joy Cholla would feel at being able to run for the first time, as much as she wants!! what a happy image.^^

hmm...good thinking manga. that'd be hilarious, someone turning female...who would...? i can't think of anyone.

ooohh, would that mean Kit would get a new body again? though she'd probably miss being so close to Littlefire...XD

lunakat

I have no speculation to offer- but I did want to say that I'm really enjoying these stories. Thanks for bringing them back Wingthing!

manga

*leaves out some Wingthing bait.*

Vaeri

i personally think the best Wingthing bait is speculation. i have a suspicion she may be addicted to it. :p

manga

Ok. Here's both then:

Speculation: I speculate that Cholla will Recognize Klipsringer (her lovemate - I hope I haven't gotten mixed up) and Uproar will follow. Leetah will insist that "turning it off" is the only option. Melati will be her lovely, snotty little self and blow them all out of the water with the afore-mentioned 10th level Zombification.

And here's something from my folder of images from the Rayek Admiration Society for Humans. :) It is NOT my art, but as it was given to me for posting on RASH, I feel it is okay to be shared here too.

Vaeri

well during Nature of the Beast, it is said that Klipspringer and Cholla are lifemates, and have been since a young, for elves, age.

honestly, i wanna know what happened that caused that rather chaotic last entry in her rock journal. it seemed very much like her mind was unraveling....so what caused it? I MUST KNOW!!

manga

I just thought that was natural erosion aging the stone. As the last record, it presumably wasn't protected as well as the older records which had all the newer layers on top.

Vaeri

i speculate that due to the lack of possibility for recognition, and because she cannot send to Beast and communicate with him on that mental level, her brain begins to unravel and it becomes a slight case of reversal where Beast must care for and protect Melati.

and now i cannot stop picturing Melati in Belle's yellow gown and Beast as...well you know. disney. XD PICTURE IT!!

wingthing

*scampers back from vacation, steals bait*

...got a new fic all raring to go, just needs some final polishing.

Kahvi returns (sort of) to the Alternaverae tomorrow.

wingthing

Unwanted is up. Teir deals with the fallout of Ember's Recognition to Dart, and the ghosts of his past.

Also - ever wonder what kind of kid Ember and Dart would make? Have some art from Sun Girl:

Soreyes

Nice. Well done. I like that Tier still has Mommy issues.

manga

Heartful and intriguing, Wingthing! Dunecat's a darling! Please tell Sun Girl!!

Though I have to disagree with you (or Dart) a bit when he says he has no right to ask. He has every right to ask! He was just asking to be with his child, not for a three-mating.

Vaeri

oh yay yay yay! new story! and it's nice to see more Ember/Dart/Teir stuff going on.

and yay for kavhi possibly coming back!...i gotta read this now.

and yes, more art! Dunecat does look adorable...quite the wolfrider! kind of reminds me of Tyleet a bit in his coloring and body language...o.o he seems very gentle.

edit: hmmm...very interesting story indeed! so somehow, Kahvi is still alive thanks to the Palacestone? and she WANTS to die but can't?hmmm..

also very nice to see more of the other tribes...yay grown up Manx! and Halycon has kids!^^ but it'll be interesting to see what happens with Teir and Kahvi