ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Question about Elf hybrids

Potoooooooo111

Ok , I know about the origins of the Wolf riders and their lupine blood and I know about the origin of Two-Edge. Are there any other elf tribes that interbred with animals or humans for that matter

Tam

Not that have been introduced. Breeding with humans seems to be unlikely, though there is a worldpool story about it called Kings Cross.

RedheadEmber

I think I've read somewhere that elf-human hybrids are not gonna happen (due to how frequent it is in other fantasy stories)

Embala

There is Rosie , a Preserver-Human hybrid ;) in the Rebels and Jink stories.

Potoooooooo111

Just out of curiosity , what if Timmain had decided to assume the form of a lioness instead of a wolf. How would you see the resulting lion/elf hybrids turning out? How would they be different from the Wolfriders?

Tam

Um...I guess it depends on who you ask? *laughs* I imagine they would turn out roughly physically the same. Maybe Timmorn would have had silkier fur, and they'd roar instead of howl. Socially, it might be a little different, considering that prides usually only have one male in them. From what I've seen, cat/elf hybrids are the most popular AU tribe in RPGs.

RedheadEmber

Whenever a new (always male) chief takes over he'd kill all the cubs...

Embala

Only when this would make the mothers recognize HIM within the next few months.

sulken

I touched a lion cub once, the fur is rather bristly ;)

And cats are probably not fit as mounts. But the cat-tribe would smell probably better :D

Embala

*is envious*

*chuckles*

Wolves are "not fit" as mounts either. The motion of the Wolfrider wolves is changed to function more like the movements of horses to make riding during a hunt possible. Same would happen to cats as well. Take another world - Abode - and you would have just wolf-like and cat-like and human-like inhabitants anyway.

Potoooooooo111

keep forgetting that Abode is not Earth.Do lions exist on Abode? I know that they have shown smilodons and IIRC Leetah has a pussycat

Embala

Leetah had a pet cat indeed.

One of Treestumps's wolves was named Lionskin. I figured the Wolfriders know something that's similar to a a mountain lion.

And there is stubtail, the "tuftcat" adopted by Pike.

Tam

Don't forget the sabertooth that earned Redlance his name. :) Those probably don't exist in the current Elfquest day, but I would not be at all surprised if they evolved into various subspecies of big cats.

Justice

Also mad coil was a combination of a long tooth cat and a giant snake. The people of Sorrows end also mention Mountain Lions attacking the village. So I'm pretty sure a form of Lion/Tiger exists somewhere on Abode.

Embala

Just remembered this thread:
http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/1562/abodean-animal-life/p1

Tam

Yes! Bless that thread. I've referenced it many times.

I looked in the Wolfrider's Guide for any other cats, and it mentioned Tuftcats, like Stubtail, in the same section as Longtooth, leading me to infer that Tuftcats evolved from them. Leetah's cat wasn't mentioned, so it's not comprehensive.

I also read the Snowbear entry and it says that they have the temperament of a grizzly and the look of a polar bear...interesting, now that there are reports of grolar bears in North America.

travelbug

I think there might be big cats ouside of elfin territories, or humans may have hunted them to the point of extinction in the world of two moons too.

The newer stories dont really say much about animal life though.

RedheadEmber

Just a thought:
Can Two-Edge have children?

A lion and a tiger can have offspring, but the offspring can't offspring. Is it the same way with elves and trolls?
An elf and a troll can - with some magic - have offspring but the offspring can't have offspring.

And yes, I know that Timmorn, the offspring of an elf (High One) and a wolf was definitely able to have offspring, but that might have something to do with the fact that Timmain had actually transformed into a wolf when Timmorn was born.

travelbug

I'm guessing he can if he can recognize, but not otherwise. He looks so much like a troll, his elfin part must be on the inside. He knows how to send, and if his story in new blood 1 is something to go by, he does have Winnowills shapechanging powers, but sort of denies them.
But as far as we know he havent really taken interest in anyone besides Venka. It would be interesting if they are ment to recognize eachother.
Trolls dont have recognition, they seem to multiply anyway

Tam

Actually, only male ligers and tigons are sterile...the females can mate with other tigers and lions. Their offspring are often...a bit delicate. Cancer is pretty common.

Embala

RedheadEmber said: Can Two-Edge have children?
Can Timmorn have offsprings?

YES.

Let's take a look:

Timmorn's mother and sire are creatures form too different sun systems.
The mother is an elf - a magical intelligent being.
The sire is - an ANIMAL.
Timmorn had children inside and outside recognition.

Two-Edge's mother and father are creatures from the same sun system.
The mother is an elf - a magical intelligent being.
The sire is a Troll - an intelligent being.

Unless the difference lies in the magical talents of Timmain and Winnowill I don't see a reason why Two-Edge can not have chidren.

Leanan

He should make babies with Trinket. After all, she is an elf-fancier...

RedheadEmber

Embala said: Unless the difference lies in the magical talents of Timmain and Venovel I don't see a reason why Two-Edge can not have chidren.

Winnowill wasn't Venovel when Two-Edge was (obviously), nor had she transformed into a troll.
I actually mentioned this in my previous post, but Timmorn's ability to have children might have something to do with the fact that Timmain had transformed into a wolf, and was already well on her way to "lose herself to the wolf", when Timmorn was born.

Embala

_ already corrected - ;)

Timmain was not wolf enough to age and die. She was still elf. The "turning into wolf" was more on the mental than on the physical side - judging from this.