ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elfquest: Final quest 6 (spoiler)

Stefan

And here's the cover and blurb for the final issue of the first volume of The Final Quest..

I fear for Teir

ElfQuestFinalQuest-6-50a2c

Wendy Pini (W/A/Cover), Richard Pini (W), and Sonny Strait (C)
On sale Nov 26
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing
The human warlord Angrif Djun, more furious than ever, prepares a massive assault upon every elf living on the World of Two Moons. Master archer Strongbow faces an unexpected betrayal. And within the Wolfrider tribes, Chief Cutter and Chieftess Ember wrestle with a dire choice that will define—or destroy—their worlds.
“If you’re looking for some engaging fantasy, don’t miss ElfQuest: The Final Quest! It’s something special and will pull you in from the first time you read it!” —Major Spoilers

Niphredil

+1..
Any ideas who's sword is the one on the left?

Stefan

Teir's i think..

RedheadEmber

*Gulp*

Ember sure looks to be in a bad state. Wonder if we'll get to see first-hand what happens to the survivor if one of a recognized pair dies before the urge can be answered...

Embala

It's hard to see but it looks like she doesn't wear the chiefs lock anymore.

lunakat

I think it's just blocked from view by Cutter. She looks like she still has it, from what I can tell.

Is that Ember's sword on the right then?

Embala

The chiefs lock can easily been hidden, lunakat ... might spark speculation nevertheless.

Yes, it is Ember's sword.
http://elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/HY/HY15/_Hidden%20Years%20-%2015_page=1#_34#

And the other one is pretty sure Teir's - it's shown clearly in FQ #3.

ChristinaRaibert

Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy oh boy,

The two swords look ominous. And the color scheme, with the dark night sky, ties back to the cover of #4 - Teir in the water, struggling for his life - and those mountains that *still* look like howling wolves whenever I see them. Does not bode well, no no no...

Also, what's this about Angrif going after other tribes? If Ember is rescued, why no one attempted to kill him off for good? (Alright, maybe there wasn't time, but I can't help be very worried for the WaveDancers. Of course, if something happens to them, Angrif will have many reasons to worry too... *draws out the old sushi set used for Sushi-Surge*)

travelbug

Very sweet, but sort of sad feeling cover. Cutter and Leetha lovingly holding Ember and watching over her as if she was a cub again.
I agree with @lunakat I think the chief lock is behind Cutters face.

And I have to agree it may not be a good sign for Teir :((
Somebody wrote someplace that Wendy didn't like Teir that much, maybe she made his death part of the story? Maybe Wendy intended Ember to be lifemated to somebody else in the end?
I hope the story go in a different direction than my speculation, because I like Teir a lot.
He's one of my favorites along with Rayek and Windkin <3 what can I say? I identify with the rootless ones who dont fit in properly

It's going to be a long wait..

lunakat

That would be a pretty ungainly way for him to die though, wouldn't it? To just spaz out and fall off a cliff. Sort of a waste... an awkward waste at that. I hope that isn't the end of Tier. I hope if he dies, he does it in a more useful and heroic manner.

travelbug

I second that Lunakat ~O)
But Rillfisher died of something as stupid as a falling branch.. So Teir wouldn't be the first..

Also, saving Ember and not killing Angrif, is echoing the very start of Elfquest, back when Cutter and the other wolfriders saved Redlance and chose not to kill the shaman..
History repeating with even worse events following??

Life is sacred and all that, but failing to kill the biggest treath of the elves very existence?
But then they didn't kill Gromuhl Djun in the palace war either, so why the son?

RedheadEmber

If Teir dies - and I really hope he doesn't! (I want a cute little Ember-Teir cubling!) - I think Embala might be right that Ember won't be chief any longer, at least for a while. She simply won't be up for it. Remember what happened to Cutter when Leetah was taken from him? Or even worse (in the sense that he never got over it); what happened to Bearclaw when Joyleaf died? Imagine losing your recognized mate without having had the chance to answer the call. I don't think Ember can go on putting the urge aside forever.

travelbug

If Teir dies (I really really want him to live and be happy) the urge of recognition will probably fade away, or Ember will recognize somebody else, if the cub is truely needed for something special
Recognition "choose" time and elves, and often happens after somebody in the tribe dies.
In that way, Ember and Teir recognizing makes perfect sence, even though it was the worst timing in ages

RedheadEmber

I think I remember Wendy saying somewhere that if one of the elves of a recognized pair were to die before the call could be answered the other would feel violently ill, but eventually recover.

stargazer

I'm going to be the voice of dissent, and say I hope it IS the end of Teir. I never liked him, I never liked Ember/Teir as a couple, and I would rather see her with someone else, like Mender.

MultiFacets

Let's just hope that Ember's simply exhausted from dealing with Angrif on that cover, not because Teir bit it. Fear and anger and being on high alert for extended periods are very tiring.

I'd be sorry if Teir bites it. I honestly like him because I know I wouldn't come out of the "solitary confinement" he did without going off the deep end. (Hell, I'm treading water as it is, what with my two real life friends being unreachable.) To have kept what he has of his sanity is admirable.

Saint_Parallelogram

I think Teir is alive-didn't Wendy say he was going to play a big part in Final Quest (Yes I know he can do so as a spirit...) and he was going to "Earn his big elf pants."

RedheadEmber

stargazer said: I'm going to be the voice of dissent, and say I hope it IS the end of Teir. I never liked him, I never liked Ember/Teir as a couple, and I would rather see her with someone else, like Mender.

She can be with both!

Saint_Parallelogram said: I think Teir is alive-didn't Wendy say he was going to play a big part in Final Quest (Yes I know he can do so as a spirit...) and he was going to "Earn his big elf pants."

I hope you're right. Maybe Ember is in the state she's in "simply" from having been tortured. Could also explain why they seemingly don't kill Angrif; if it's a choice between get Ember out as quickly as possible and kill Angrif I'm pretty sure I know what Cutter would choose.

jorenm93

I don't think Teir will die from falling off that cliff... Then it would be Ember's fault...

Diana

Where's the topic for issue 5?

Embala

@Diana Guess you are looking for this one, Diana. :)
http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/8421/final-quest-5-announcement/p1

RedheadEmber

Just a thought:

At least part of my reason for thinking that something bad might've happened to Teir is that he isn't there and Ember is clearly still in a bad state, if he was present surely he'd want to be at her side as well!? They are, after all, recognized. Maybe the reason he isn't there is that he simply hasn't been rescued yet. I'd imagine that they split up, so some went to rescue Ember (Cutter and Leetah, and some others) while some went to rescue Teir and the others (Windkin I'd imagine; if Teir is his brother...)

Also Ember told Sunstream "No magic rescues, unless I'm a dying Ember." Clearly they've rescued her, so either they decided that "That's it! She's a dying Ember now!" or they - more sneakily went "It isn't a magic rescue if we just get dropped off in the area and do the main part of the rescuing on our own!"

Tam

If they split, I would think Sunstream would take one Palace pod to save Ember, and Skywise would take another to save Teir. Windkin would probably join the latter group, but I don't think he can fly a pod yet.

jorenm93

Or Teir's rescue-team has been captured, explaining Cutter's horrified face in one of the teaser pictures

RedheadEmber

I figured it'd be more like; they fly a Palace-Pod together to Djunsland, one group is dropped off to go save Ember while the others continue to save Teir and the others.

lunakat

jorenm93 said: Or Teir's rescue-team has been captured, explaining Cutter's horrified face in one of the teaser pictures

What teaser pictures?

RedheadEmber said: Also Ember told Sunstream "No magic rescues, unless I'm a dying Ember." Clearly they've rescued her, so either they decided that "That's it! She's a dying Ember now!" or they - more sneakily went "It isn't a magic rescue if we just get dropped off in the area and do the main part of the rescuing on our own!"

Or else, Cutter was just like "I'm your Dad. End of discussion."

lunakat

Tam said: If they split, I would think Sunstream would take one Palace pod to save Ember, and Skywise would take another to save Teir. Windkin would probably join the latter group, but I don't think he can fly a pod yet.

That makes sense. If Leetah heads to save Ember, maybe she can pull a Mender and just blast the Djun and his men with some undesirable, unattractive and potentially lethal flesh shaping.

But seriously... what teaser pics???

And lastly- is anyone ever going to tell Venka that Kahvi is dead and her quest is pointless? Like- are they really just letting her wander around looking for her mom, when they all know that Kahvi is dead? Can't Suntop just send her a message? Okay- maybe this Ember thing takes precedence, and they all just forgot- but if they don't go alert Venka shortly thereafter- I call "mean sense of humorness" on the Wolfriders.

Stefan

eqhh

i guess this one?

RedheadEmber

lunakat said: Or else, Cutter was just like "I'm your Dad. End of discussion."

That's another very possible explanation.

jorenm93

That pic indeed

jorenm93

lunakat said: And lastly- is anyone ever going to tell Venka that Kahvi is dead and her quest is pointless? Like- are they really just letting her wander around looking for her mom, when they all know that Kahvi is dead? Can't Suntop just send her a message? Okay- maybe this Ember thing takes precedence, and they all just forgot- but if they don't go alert Venka shortly thereafter- I call "mean sense of humorness" on the Wolfriders.

I think Venka already knows Kahvi is dead. Wouldn't she "feel" something if something happens to her mother?

RedheadEmber

lunakat said: And lastly- is anyone ever going to tell Venka that Kahvi is dead and her quest is pointless? Like- are they really just letting her wander around looking for her mom, when they all know that Kahvi is dead? Can't Suntop just send her a message? Okay- maybe this Ember thing takes precedence, and they all just forgot- but if they don't go alert Venka shortly thereafter- I call "mean sense of humorness" on the Wolfriders.

Venka's quest isn't so much finding Kahvi, as it finding out what happened to Kahvi.

Heather

jorenm93 said: I think Venka already knows Kahvi is dead. Wouldn't she "feel" something if something happens to her mother?

Not necessarily. Dewshine didn't seem to feel anything when Tyldak died. Bearclaw sent for Joyleaf after she died and didn't seem sure right away if she was dead and Cutter even had to ask.

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 6.17.09 PM
Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 6.17.01 PM
I just don't think they always feel each others deaths.

RichardPini

If you're keeping track, Wendy and I just finished wrangling the script for Final Quest #6 into final shape. And here's proof, of a sort. (If you look very closely, you can see the artwork for each page. Good luck with that...) *:(

Snapz Pro X001

lunakat

You're a bad man, Mr. Pini... a bad man!

Elwing

You're a meanie mr. Pini ;) I would love to see the technical setup Wendy uses, you know, what hardware, what software...

RichardPini

Elwing said: I would love to see the technical setup Wendy uses, you know, what hardware, what software...

She's commented on this before, here and there. We're an all-Mac operation. She uses an iMac as her base desktop, with a Cintiq 21UX ... well, I can't call it a tablet, can I. It's the interactive model, she draws directly on the screen. The software is Photoshop CS4. And there you have it.

Tavie

RichardPini said: (If you look very closely, you can see the artwork for each page. Good luck with that...) *:(

:|

Elwing

Ah the Wacom Cintiq 21UX...Hmm, I was lusting over one in the shop last week. That is one fine piece of kit. Also, it's huge! But not as huge as an old-fashioned drawing board. Well, "d'r moet wat te wensen over blijven", as we say here. There have to be some things left in life to keep on wishing for :D

lunakat

If I were going to ask about hardware- I'd ask what sort of scanner Richard used to get all that artwork scanned. I'm scanner shopping right now- and I am so confused about how to find a quality art scanner that can scan something bigger than letter size... that doesn't break the bank. I don't know if such a thing exists! (seriously- if anyone can give advice- I'm a little desperate!)

MultiFacets

Craigslist?

Elwing

it depends a little on what you want to scan. If it is a full color image, it may be a different matter, but as an amateur doing simple line art I'd say that my cheap lexmark all-in-one does a fine job of capturing all my mistakes.
The trick is using the right settings (greyscale), and high enough definition, so that is more software than hardware related. There's usually a hidden user settings panel that allows you to select higher dpi settings. This should be 600, at the very least.

lunakat

Thanks. I actually do need something that can handle color well and has a high dpi. If it was just a matter of greyscale- that wouldn't be a problem. I sort of need to use it professionally. Hmm. I'm really jonesing for something that can scan anything larger than letter size. But... I realize this is hijacking the thread, so don't worry about it amigos.

Elwing

This probably fits better in this thread!

RichardPini

lunakat said: If I were going to ask about hardware- I'd ask what sort of scanner Richard used to get all that artwork scanned. I'm scanner shopping right now- and I am so confused about how to find a quality art scanner that can scan something bigger than letter size... that doesn't break the bank.

I use an Epson Expression 10000XL. It's about the largest "consumer" scanner available (it has a flatbed that will take a 12x18 inch original) before you get into major expense. Now, doing a quick search, it appears the 10000XL has been superseded by the 11000XL, which seems to run around $2300. If this seems to fit "major expense" keep in mind that once you get out of this arena, flatbed scanners any larger start costing upwards of $8-10,000. So there's really three choices: letter size (of which there are many, many options, and relatively inexpensive), then the tabloid size (12x18 or so) which cost low-to-mid four figures, and then the really expensive stuff.

Embala

Thornbrake said: So, Wendy elaborated just a little bit more about this scene on Facebook, and turns out it's because she doesn't like the "mind control" aspect of how Teir's powers have been portrayed previously, and she's attempting to show it in a different light.

Here's what she said:
There's always been some confusion about how Teir's powers work. I, myself, have never been a fan of "animal control" powers. In earlier stories in which Teir appeared, the depiction of his influence over animals made me uneasy. Mind control, to me, is heinous (hence villainous Winnowill). Teir's powers in FQ Ish 3 are depicted as working in harmony with the animals' natural instincts...letting them choose their behaviors, as it were. There will be more fine tuning of this as the story progresses.

Look at the last sentence. Doesn't sound like Teir will die the next moment for me. Of course "more fine tuning" can happen in one or two short issues as well but it seems less likely ...

lunakat

@RichardPini- Thanks!

lunakat

Embala said: Look at the last sentence. Doesn't sound like Teir will die the next moment for me. Of course "more fine tuning" can happen in one or two short issues as well but it seems less likely ...

Good point!

sulken

@stargazer: there are at least two, who don't care for Teir :P . But I doubt he'll die. His falling of the cliff looks like a "seems to die but is saved the last second"-scene.

Well, IMHO it would be better, if there was less recognizing and more storytelling (most recongitions are followed by time-jumps, during which apparently nothing important happens).

RedheadEmber

sulken said: Well, IMHO it would be better, if there was less recognizing and more storytelling (most recongitions are followed by time-jumps, during which apparently nothing important happens).

Except for the rare cases in which one of the recognized gets captured and the other falls off a cliff...

I'd say that the whole 'Blue Mountain incident' was pretty important, not to mention the Palace War.

Or what about the Shards War?

Maybe most of the recognitions happens with nothing important happening because most of the elves are Lucky enough to not recognize when they're about to end up in a battle.

Elwing

Add me to the "never really got into Tier" brigade. I hope he lives, though, at least for now.

RedheadEmber

I didn't get Teir at first, either. Mostly because I was completely but Ember belongs with Mender!
I've warmed up to Teir, I think he's going to "find his way" and not be such a whine-baby. Besides; having recognized Teir is really no hindrance for Ember to be with Mender too. He still clearly loves her.

sulken

RedheadEmber said: Except for the rare cases in which one of the recognized gets captured and the other falls off a cliff...

I'd say that the whole 'Blue Mountain incident' was pretty important, not to mention the Palace War.

Or what about the Shards War?

Maybe most of the recognitions happens with nothing important happening because most of the elves are Lucky enough to not recognize when they're about to end up in a battle.
Ok, I need to be a bit clearer: the immediate advents surounding a recognition tend to be important, but: there was a huge time-lapse after the Cutter/Leetah recognition [makes sense, it's to stress the peacefulness of the time, and the twins needed to be older for the story-line]; minor time-lapse after Windkin's birth; Tyleet and Venka [but they coincide with the summary of the 10.000 years]; with Pool, Sust, Chitter and Suntop's child it's the same. Elves recognise, then we jump two years (birth-scene) and mostly then some years again until there are at least some reasonable kids or mostly teenagers/young adults (yes, babies don't make interesting protagonists). My issue is, there are important events going on (Angrif and the possible end-game for the elves) and I can't see why a "plausible time-lapse" (as in 'sudden 12 to 25 years of peace) might happen

RedheadEmber

But we don't really know if there'll be a time-lapse after Ember's child is born.

sulken

of course, we don't know how it's going to turn out, yet. But judging by past experience...

travelbug

As Angrif Djun now is the biggest adversary to the elves, and he looks to be at least in forties agewise, maybe there wont be much of a timelapse? He may not be as scary or live as long as another 20-40 years?

I had a look at Dreamtime, and I think that Strongbow and Moonshade's dream could mean that Dart and Freetouch leave in the palace, for a new world to live in, like the homestar Skywise spoke of in the special?

lunakat

sulken said: of course, we don't know how it's going to turn out, yet. But judging by past experience...

there wasn't a time lapse with Windkin as a baby. There was one much later though... Even if Ember gets preggers right away- she still has two years before giving birth in which to resolve the pressing problems she is facing.

travelbug said: I had a look at Dreamtime, and I think that Strongbow and Moonshade's dream could mean that Dart and Freetouch leave in the palace, for a new world to live in, like the homestar Skywise spoke of in the special?

That's an interesting thought

Eyeshigh

Okay, time to start again. We all? know now what happend to Ember andTeir. So what is your thought on what is going to happen?

Btw. @RichardPini, the pictures are tooooooooo smal, can't see them! :))

jeb

I was going to comment on the issue 5 thread that it seemed a little weird that after rescuing Ember Cutter would ask about where her sword was, and why it would be important to establish that both she and Tier had lost them. But looking at this cover it makes more sense. At least, it doesn't seem as random. Why would it be bad to lose track of the swords? Has Treestump learned how to add something special to the process? Is it related to Windkin's awkward statement about Skywise's blade saving Ember?

(Dun dun duuuun! :-O )

travelbug

Weapons are special to the elves, it is a part of their identity. Think of Bearclaw and Cutter and Newmoon. Pike, Redlance and Huntress Skyfire all have the spear as a part if their identity.
Ember's lost sword may mean something later on. Maybe Angrif Djun manage to kill some of the elves with it in the end?
Teir's sword may be found of humans in a more quiet part of the river, and play a part or become a symbol of something later in the story.

Why is it weird that Windkin used Skywise's sword?
He's more of an archer himself. (Scouter and Pool too) Does he have a sword of his own?
In the special, he's pictured mainly with his bow, but seems to have a dagger a few times. But no sword.
When he flies of with Moonshade in the palace, he seems unarmed. No bow and arrows, no sword. (Working in the forges he would not really need to be armed anyway )
It seems like he went from the forges to the palace on a sudden whim, he could have gone unarmed, not thinking to bring weapons. After all he was only going to ask a question to someone in the palace.
When the rescue party left to save Teir and Ember, there wasn't time to go get any weapons, they left instantly.
My take is that Skywise and Cutter were the only two in the pod who were likely to carry weapons out of habit.

travelbug

About the cover, I'd say that after what Ember's been through and as the meaning of it all starts to sink in, I think its good she gets a bit of time and love with her parents.
The humans have become a big danger to the elves, and I think its good if the next move of Ember's tribe is planned together with Cutter and the others.
Ember's wolfriders could possibly stay on the mountaintop, I guess, but they could also decide to go elsewhere. The wavedancer's will need a warning about Angrif who's likely to come their way after Ember confirmed their existence.
I dont think Ember will choose to stay in the palace or at Cutter's holt.

About the whole recognition thing, usually recognitions have occured after deaths, so it does make sense that Ember and Teir recognized after Krim's death. It makes me wonder if somebody else will recognize instead of Ember and Teir, or if they will be struck by recognition again at some point to keep up the number in the tribe.
Also if the story of Zarhan Fastfire and Cheseri is something to go by, the soul of Ember and Teir's cub is already waiting in the beyond to be born.
Anaya, daughter of Zarhan and Cheseri, waited ten years in the beyond to be created in flesh, and was an unsually difficult elfchild because she had to wait so long to be born.

Eyeshigh

Ember got her sword from Cutter and he got his from Bearclaw. The difference was Bearclaw gave his to Cutter because he knew he would not return alive and Ember gor hers because she became chief after they split up the tribe. As for identity, when you have a weapon as long as they do, it becomes part of you, you know how to handle it. Replacing it will be as to learn to use a sword all over again.

I think Ember is still in doubt on how she is as a chief and loosing her sword doesn't contribute... and as Dewshine stated, she still isn't sure she deserves to be a chief.

lunakat

I strongly agree with travelbug. And I don't think it was awkward to mention Skywise's sword. I think it was great attention to detail. As Travelbug pointed out- Windkin didn't have a sword- and it would have been curious as to where he got it without that statement. Also- it served the double purpose of emphasizing Ember's lost sword.

I also agree that the loss of the sword is a good metaphor. As has been pointed out, the story-arc started off with Dewshine explaining to Tier that Ember was still insecure about her right to be chief. That makes sense. Cutter inherited the role of chief after his father died, just as every chief had before him. He followed the tradition- and he had no choice. There was no chief alternative than Cutter. But Ember? Ember was given the role by her father, who then told a number of unwilling elves to follow her. And she's been having trouble ever since.

Eyeshigh

;)

RedheadEmber

lunakat said: I also agree that the loss of the sword is a good metaphor. As has been pointed out, the story-arc started off with Dewshine explaining to Tier that Ember was still insecure about her right to be chief. That makes sense. Cutter inherited the role of chief after his father died, just as every chief had before him. He followed the tradition- and he had no choice. There was no chief alternative than Cutter. But Ember? Ember was given the role by her father, who then told a number of unwilling elves to follow her. And she's been having trouble ever since.

Yeah. When you think about it: Ember's task is to Preserve the Way, yet she became chief in a very unlike-the-Way way.

jeb

lunakat

RedheadEmber said: Yeah. When you think about it: Ember's task is to Preserve the Way, yet she became chief in a very unlike-the-Way way.

And no offense, but there's even a question of -is she really chief?- since Cutter is still alive. If it came down to a decision, and there was a conflict- Ember vs Cutter- only Pool and Sust would likely be confused about who was really in charge.

travelbug

Ember was seriously rattled when Scouter challenged her i HY and won.
She is probably the only chief to loose the chief lock, and have it given back again.

lunakat

travelbug said: Ember was seriously rattled when Scouter challenged her i HY and won.
She is probably the only chief to loose the chief lock, and have it given back again.

In way, Ember has sort of had to have everything given to her. She was given her position as chief- couldn't hold onto it- had it given back. She didn't earn it really. She didn't defend it successfully. She didn't inherit it. And even now, she needs a rescue from her dad. No wonder she is is insecure.

travelbug

That kind of issues will probably get worse before they get better..
She will have to pull of something really big to prove herself to herself.

In one way, maybe it would do her good to not be chief for a while? But then she could loose her position completely from doing so.
So I dont think that's going to happen

Knightbird

Maybe Ember is one of those who will stay?? It's like what they said in Hidden Years (I believe), when a wolf pack gets to large it needs to divide. And we already had a hint that it might be Cutter who becomes Master of Palace. X:)

wingthing

lunakat said: She was given her position as chief- couldn't hold onto it- had it given back. She didn't earn it really.

I don't know if I'd say she got given it back, she did challenge Scouter back for it and won. She just used logic instead of brute strength. Which makes a far better deciding factor than "who has more upper body strength". Getting Scouter to admit he was wrong - now that's a feat few elves have managed!

Eyeshigh

She is a chief, she has proven herself and correct me if i am wrong, she was the same age as Cutter when he became chief.
But in the case of Cutter he was accepted inmiddiatly as chief as for Ember... In the beginning no one listened, because it was supposed to be temperarly. She didn't had the Chief's Lock from the start either, did she?
I think she still has a long way to go to see herself as a Chief, i think she still sees her father as the Chief....

Eyeshigh

Just a question....
Wil we get a teaser for every issue? And if we do, how many days or weeks before publish can we read it?
I hope we do, love to read it and speculate about it.

travelbug

I think there has been a teaser for every issue since #3 ? Can't remember there was one for #1-2
I think they have shown up around a week before publication

Eyeshigh

Ah.. too bad, i hoped it would be a month before, lol.

jorenm93

CAN'T WAAAIT!

Blackbird

After reading #5 I wonder even more about this teaser...

travelbug

#6 is comming out today :D

And I read it already :D
I like how it ended this story arc nicely, told Kahvi's story and had a few little surprizes at the end.

Ready for the next big kick of now ;)

lunakat

SPOILER--

Nice foreshadowing Kahvi. I guess Cutter is going to be spending more time in the Palace than he expected. I wonder what "the dream" is about? This whole storyline seems like a prologue. It sets everything up, puts everyone in place- and I think it ends well. Good job, Wendy Pini! I also love the artwork- in this issue especially. None of the characters seem posed stiffly or for the reader- they are all in natural positions- as if half captured in movement- that are typical of old-school Elfquest. And the detail is lovely. Really lovely.

Arthis

I want to know what's on top of this mountain!!!
(I'm sure it's no big deal, but... and I won't have my copy before mid-December :-( )

lunakat

You know.. it suddenly occurs to me- The story of Lehrigan seems like forshadowing too- for the Djun... Or least, maybe it is there to emphasize to the elves how persistent, single minded and effective humans can be in their search for revenge.

Thornbrake

You tell 'im Kahvi!

Tavie

lunakat said: I wonder what "the dream" is about? This whole storyline seems like a prologue

Agreed! The way it wrapped up with "Nothing will be the same ever again" make it feel like the story is about to REALLY begin!

What is up with the dream? Whose dream? Do we have to go back and comb dreamtime? Krim's dream? Pike's dream? Endless snow or pooping trolls? What's it all about, Alfie?!

Tavie

This is THE BEST!

nomood

But the page - the page portraying the last of Kahvi's life, her leaving the shell and Lehrigen cutting off her braids, that entire page, was my favorite artwork in the whole thing.

This one made me cry. But mostly from the Pike pages, the "good to have you back" stuff. *SNIFF*

Thornbrake

Kahvi rules!! I like that her ending wasn't predictable.

Thornbrake

One of my all time favorite panels ever!

sulken

Sooo what was the unexpected betrayal Strongbow had to face? His kids moving out? A youngster (Ember) being of his opinion? He's a wuss!

I'm pretty convinced the souls of the dead immortals (can, if they choose to) return to the original homeplanet. What else could break them from the bound with the palace?

And all the dreams of of dreamtimes had probably some foreshadowing meaning. So Treestump might end up creating weapons which will turn against the elves. The new hold might get destroyed again (although this kind of definite destruction already befell the Thorny Mountain Hold). Maybe the Clearbrook will get stuck in the (symbolic) caverns :'( . Who knows?

lunakat

sulken said: Sooo what was the unexpected betrayal Strongbow had to face? His kids moving out? A youngster (Ember) being of his opinion? He's a wuss!

Yeah! Grow a pair, Strongbow! Your grown children moving out of the house is not a "shocking betrayal." Dart got a job and started supporting himself at thirteen (I'm guessing). How old is Chitter?

sulken said: I'm pretty convinced the souls of the dead immortals (can, if they choose to) return to the original homeplanet. What else could break them from the bound with the palace?

It doesn't say anywhere (that I can see) that they break from the bound with the palace... or does it?

sulken said: And all the dreams of of dreamtimes had probably some foreshadowing meaning.

I think this was confirmed at the end of Dreamtime- that all of the dreams were prescient.

sulken said: So Treestump might end up creating weapons which will turn against the elves. The new hold might get destroyed again (although this kind of definite destruction already befell the Thorny Mountain Hold). Maybe the Clearbrook will get stuck in the (symbolic) caverns :'( . Who knows?

I always thought Clearbrook's dream referred to her discovery of Audry in the troll-pit- during Searcher and the Sword?

Eyeshigh

Wend said on FB that #6 was an issue were nothing happend, yet everything happend. Guess she meant the Kavhi story?! Would explain why the betrayal hasn't happend yet, for us? Haven't got the issue yet, so have to guess.
Maybe Moonshade has made up her mind on what she wants and has only told Strongbow about it and now she waits for Cutter and his band to return and we get to see a flashback of some sort in #7???

Tam

Eyeshigh said: Wend said on FB that #6 was an issue were nothing happend, yet everything happend. Guess she meant the Kavhi story?! Would explain why the betrayal hasn't happend yet, for us? Haven't got the issue yet, so have to guess.

Nothing, yet everything, is issue #7. :)

Eyeshigh

I know...... Wendy corrected me on FB, but I wasn't alone, lol. Luckely I wasn't the only one thinking it, :P

Tam

Hehe. I saw the correction, but I wasn't sure if that was you or not. :)

Eyeshigh

Yup, that is me.... busted, lol.

I was thinking.... On the cover of #7 Leetah looks worried... "and a beloved tribemate makes a shocking choice." Could it be that Cutter is thinking of giving up his wolfblood?
I read he is gonna spend more time in the Palace?, he is troubled by death ever since Rayek took off with his family. And he asked her before....

lunakat

Where was the correction? I looked at the elfquest fb page and didn't see it.

The betrayal was supposed to be in this issue. The shocking choice in the next. Right?

Blackbird

It didn't look like any betrayal here, as I saw, if not some little thing we didn't notice will lead to something big.

Awh...Kahvi...so not the way she should go, but then again, she is happy now.

sulken

lunakat said: It doesn't say anywhere (that I can see) that they break from the bound with the palace... or does it?

No, it doesn't explicitly. But there were so many hints (IMHO), like Krim's last words ("there is more, it's not just the palace", words Pike repeated this issue), or Kahvi stating her looking forward to see Cutter when she visits the palace (I don't think she counts as a Wolfrider in the sense of being free from the palace). Well, and it could be the broken rule of this issue.

Eyeshigh

This is what Dark Horse along with the covers.

#6:
"The human warlord Angrif Djun, more furious than ever, prepares a massive assault upon every elf living on the World of Two Moons. Master archer Strongbow faces an unexpected betrayal. And within the Wolfrider tribes, Chief Cutter and Chieftess Ember wrestle with a dire choice that will define—or destroy—their worlds."

#7:
"The powerful psychic Sunstream assumes the role of his race’s “link” to all elves, galvanizing the World of Two Moons’ secretive tribes. The Wolfriders seek guidance as Cutter, Leetah, and Skywise struggle to adjust. Unexpected relationships form, new journeys begin, a dire threat surfaces, and a beloved tribemate makes a shocking choice."

sulken

I had some thoughts about the different dreams in Dreamtime.

Redlance: Holt (symbol for all Abode?) gets burned down but after recovery it gets completely destroyed (roots ripped out) in the end? Well, this happened to the Thorny Mountain Hold, but maybe it actually meant Abode?
Nightfall: The lives of her beloved ones are threatened but in the end she finds (there is) a simple solution?
Tyleet: She obviously learns the human tongue, but she also blends into their society (five fingers)?
Pike: Escaping a danger by melting into the environment (becoming a dreamberry) and escaping by unconventional methods (be pooped out)?
Shenshen: Darkness and dire threats, but she will shine (outshine Leetah)?
Treestump: His way to protect his tribe in the end leads to its destruction?
Clearbrook: Stuck in a hard place? (the way?)
Strongbow/Moonshade: well, there are enough speculations out there about this one :)
Cutter: his loved ones are removed from him
Zhantee: new adventures, moving to new frontiers?
Venka: leading a tribe by blending different methods? Focus on warmth and intellect instead of brute force?

Skot/Krim? No idea, the dream seems quite straightforward, at least on the outside.

So my idea, maybe more elves than just Jink will camouflage as being human while others, as we already guessed, will leave with the palace.
Well, and remember the "What is the terrified Cutter missing"-teaser? His brother actually

Knightbird

Spoiler........

Eyeshigh said: Master archer Strongbow faces an unexpected betrayal.

He calls tribal council with his own voice and talks about Ember's choices for her tribe.

maatkare22

I feel terrible for typing this but...if this is the pace of storytelling for The Final Quest, I feel I'm better off waiting several years for the whole thing to wrap up before I buy another issue on release day. Make no mistake--I am of the OG Elfquest readers who had to wait 4 months for the conclusion of the original quest. (and I just happily shelled out $100 clams for the magnificent Gallery Edition) But each issue of Final Quest just leaves me more and more unsatisfied. I have come to the grim conclusion that I just don't care about Ember's tribe, she continues to be treated miserably with no end in sight, the Djun is a crap villain (of the rankest mustache-twirling variety), Teir's a whiny beeyotch, and I practically applauded at the sight of Khavi's mangled, bloody corpse being eaten by wolves--only to realize oh my gods even dying can't seem to shut her up. The swords are important somehow I guess but I don't really give a crap, Strongbow's still kind of a dick and OH MY GODS I MISS CUTTER, LEETAH AND SKYISE AND NIGHTFALL AND REDLANCE.

Gorgeous art though, Wendy. Thank you.

Ember's soul name is still kind of cool.

And I was just kidding I'll keep buying when the issues come out, but I'm gritting my teeth.

Happy Thanksgiving.

NEXT PAGE