ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

New 3D Project: the ElfQuest Cardboard Grandfather Clock

Shadowfire

i saw a picture on Facebook of someone's VERY cool cardboard Halloween clock, and it inspired me to make a Elfquest themed clock!

THIS ONE IS NOT MINE!! this is the picture that INSPIRED my clock tower!!
cardboard clock

once i saw that image, having previous 3D cardboard fan-art experience (check out my thread, Shadowfire's Fan Art, to see my cardboard New Moon and Wolfrider Helmet from the Battle for the Palace!), i was determined to make one for myself! after the EQ one is finished, i MIGHT make one for Halloween too, but we'll see how this one goes first... :D

i have my clock tower planned out, and it will include the Now of Wolf Thought clock from CafePress as the timepiece. the very top of the clock (or the "crown" as i call it) has already been finished, and i will include progress pics below. i plan to work on the very base and the neck of the clock over the next few days, while i wait for the timepiece to arrive before i can build it's housing. ;)
IMG_3069

i knew from the very start that i wanted the crown to feature the Great Sun window that is always shown behind Savah, and i wanted to make it so that light could illuminate it from behind. *-:)
IMG_3070

i made "glass" panels using tissue paper and clear packing-tape, and the frame of the window is cardboard covered in Aluminum-Foil-Tape (something i'm becoming notorious for using in my EQ craft projects... seriously, forget Duct Tape, THIS is the stuff you want to Rule the World with!). i planned where i wanted each color on my laptop before placing them on my project. by working near my computer, i was able to constantly view my work with a light behind it to see how it would look illuminated as-planned. i'm quite proud of the finished window! B-)
IMG_3072
IMG_3080
IMG_3081

next i had to make the rest of the crown to place the window on. i made the base of the pieces with cardboard, then covered the triangular piece with a bit of paper grocery bag and the decorative details and the base in black electrical tape (remember, i'm using what's around my house... i don't want to have to buy a bunch of new materials other than the clock, so i'm using what i have at-hand).
IMG_3082

then finally, i glued on the the window, a couple of moons i made for the very top, and a few shiny details in the aluminum foil tape. as a cute side note, my Aloe Vera plant in the background is named Leetah... get it? an Aloe Vera is a desert healer? *wink wink nudge nudge* ;;)
IMG_3083

here's what the Crown looks like with light shining through the window:
IMG_3085

and that's as far as i've gotten! i hope to finish this project within a couple of weeks, but we shall see! i'll try to keep up the progress pics here, and if anyone has any design suggestions PLEASE feel free to leave them! now, ON TO CREATING THE BASE! :) :> :bz

Leanan

So that is what the thingy I saw on facebook was for! Looking fabulous!

Thornbrake

You are so creative!!!

Embala

The Wheel of Light combined with the the Crescent Moons ... it makes a terrific top. I love how the Wheel is actually shining in colorful light.

Wolfriders and Sunfolk combined ... will you stick to these tribe with the clock theme? Or add symbols for the other tribes and well for a "complete wheel"?

I'm looking forward to see more, Shadowfire!

Shadowfire

Oh i hadn't even thought about the other tribes, just going with what felt right, but i would LOVE to include the other tribes too! i know i'm going to attempt to make the pillars look like the Scroll of Colors, and i hope to put a representation of Egg somewhere, which would do good for the Gliders, but what could i place to represent the Go-Backs and Wavedancers? a small elk-head somewhere would be too difficult to recreate in the materials i have at-hand, and i'm not even sure what to use for the Wavedancers... any suggestions would be awesome! here's what i have planned (so-far) for the rest of the clock:
plans (colored, details)
(the 35th anniversary pic at the bottom is just temporary until i figure out what i do want to place there...)

who knows, if i can't find a way to represent the Go-Backs and Wavedancers on this project, maybe at some point i'll make a second clock, or maybe just a desk-top one instead of a full Grandfather clock, and THAT one will have representations of all the tribes (that we know of, lol)...

Embala

Very harmonic design, Shadowfire. I love the Scrolls framing the WaRP Clock. They complement the Wheel of Light nicely.

You know ... the anniversary pic already looks like an EGG ^^

Night_Tanem

That clock is just great! The now on it makes me wish we actually had clocks like that instead of the ones telling us when to go work, wash, shop...

Heather

Your creativity and artistic abilities always amaze me. Taking cardboard boxes and creating this, fantastic. Cannot wait to see the finish project.

RichardPini

I've just now discovered this thread and want to say, outstanding!

Shadowfire

:D thank you to everyone for the wonderful support! i'm having a LOT of fun with this project so-far!

so i had a few other life-type things pop up (ew, real life? YUCK! ;) ) recently that i had to tend to before i could continue working on this project, but yesterday i was able to get back to it. over the last 2 days i think i actually got a large part of the work done!

IMG_3200

the boxes for the base and the "neck" are all finished being wrapped and are currently only stacked (not glued) into place; the brown ones with paper grocery bags, and the black ones using construction paper (i raided my daughter's craft supplies for this one, lol). i also "silverized" two empty plastic wire-spools for the decorative little pillars and created the large Sending Star and moons for the center of the Neck piece, using my good ol' buddy, the Aluminum Foil-Tape. B-)

i was also able to add a few of the black bars on the sides of the box after i took this pic, but i ran out of black electrical tape before i could finish that part, so i haven't gotten a new pic of that progress yet. therefore, i will have to buy a few supplies to finish the project, but nothing much.

i had my hubby pick up some spray adhesive, which i used to apply the Sending Star and moons, as well as the black bars, which has been SUPER helpful! it's my first time using the stuff and i'm glad i decided to try it! it's MUCH easier to use than Gorilla Glue (i almost ended up "Mandy Scissor-hands" a couple of weeks ago, due to not noticing i had accidentally gotten Gorilla Glue on my finger tip and then was using my scissors! =))) so i'm sure adding the rest of the details will be a lot easier and less messy!

now, until i get some more black electrical tape, i need to make a bunch of the Aluminum Foil-Tape covered detail pieces! i'll definitely post more pics as the project progresses! thanks again for all of the support in this SUPER fun art project and challenge! :D

OH! also, i'm experimenting with different ways to make the pillars on each side of the clock look like the Scroll, so if anyone has any ideas on how i could do that, i would greatly appreciate any and all input! ;) i have some really nifty "tie-dye" duct-tape (it's just printed to look like tie-dye) that i'm trying to incorporate into them...

Embala

Excellent! :-bd

Tavie

This is so so so so so so cool! Your cardboard fanart is some of my favorite, you're so imaginative!!! *-:)

Shadowfire

ok so i could use some help picking between 2 different designs that i came up with for the Scrolls. :-S

one is based off of the Great Egg (left), the other off of the Scrolls themselves (right) as seen on the cover of issue #13 of Hidden Years. i honestly can't decide which one i like more...
IMG_3203 small

the one on the left looks better when rolled, but the one on the right is more accurate, at least to look like the Scrolls.
IMG_3204 & 3205 combo

which one should i use? or should i try to make a third design that looks even MORE like the cover of Hidden Years #13? i have to make a second "skin" for the other pillar as well, so i have to make my decision before i can finish that part...

:) also THE CLOCK ARRIVED TODAY!!! ok, i love the Now clock anyway, i can't wait to add it onto the project! now that i have it, i can work on the top housing for the clock! so i think i now have all the supplies needed to complete this project! now, to find the time to finish it... my new goal is to finish it by the release of issue #5 on Wednesday SO PLEASE help me decide SOON! ;) :D

Tam

Definitely the right.

Embala

I agree with Tam - the one on the right screams "Scroll"!

You have made this pattern? WOW! Excellent choice of material. I can see HOW it is done technically ... hard to imagine this laborious job. You've captured the patterns so well, Shadowfire.

Would be a pity not to use the left one for the EGG. ^^

Thornbrake

I vote for the right one too.

Leanan

I agree with the others, the right one is better. Awesome work, @Shadowfire !

Shadowfire

thanks for the input everyone!! i did draw both designs, and i'm proud of how they both came out, which i think is why i was having such a hard time deciding, lol. i'm not sure where the Egg-based one will be used, but i hope to put it either somewhere on the clock tower, or perhaps i'll save it for some future project. until i could decide, i used the Egg-based one for reference. here's some more updated pics, i hope to work on this project more later today. :)
IMG_3211
IMG_3214

there's still quite a bit of work to do on it, but it's coming along nicely! i'll post more pics when i get some more progress done. i'm hoping to work on a BUNCH of the silvery details today, but we'll see what i get done. unfortunately, the house-chores must come first... YUCK! ;)

Embala

Let them come! I love to follow a WIP documentation. Looks amazing already :-bd

Heather

It's progressing nicely. The amount of detail is spectacular. Just love it.

Tamarien ChangeStone

This is just Spectacular. You have such a wonderful choice of craft paths SHADOWFIRE.

I just love how it catches the light and the size is impressive. Go You !

Shadowfire

Thanks @Tamarien ChangeStone! i didn't originally imagine it to be this tall, but it stands just under a foot TALLER than me (i'm about 5'5")! i think i might cut an inch or two off of the top and bottom of the neck-piece to make it just >< that much shorter, but i'm not sure, it might be un-needed work, lol... ;)

AND A-HA!!! DING DING DING!!! we have a winner for Scroll Skin design!! after we all unanimously agreed that the swirly pattern looked more like the Scrolls, i decided to try ONE more time to get it as accurate as i can before i make a second one and commit them to the project, with Hidden Years #13 nearby for reference, and i think this one is the best! now i have to try to re-create it for the second Scroll... ;)
IMG_3643
IMG_3647

Tamarien ChangeStone

Oh Yes . . definite winner. The color is just beautiful.

Embala

WOW!

RichardPini

It was awesome. It's getting awesomer!

Tavie

This has got to be one of the most imaginative fan projects I've ever seen. Please please keep the pictures coming. Love love love.

Shadowfire

IMG_3682
whew! ok, so i got both of the Scroll Skins completed! A LOT of little detail-work went into this part! in fact, i've been doing a lot of small detail-work for the clock recently!
IMG_3676
in the picture above, you can see 4 larger Sending Stars, 12 small ones, and 12 circles, all made from a cardboard base covered in aluminum-foil tape! it might not seem like much, but to get ALL of those little detail pieces to look right took a LOT of time!!
IMG_3680

Also, i think i'm almost finished with the housing for the clockface! i wasn't able to find a box that was the right size and shape that i wanted, so i made this one out of pieces of cleaned pizza boxes, lol. IMG_3670

i had to create an indented area for the clock to sit, and i added a hand-made hook out of some scrap craft wire to help hold it and support it.
IMG_3669

here you can see the hook about to go into the nail-spot on the back of the clock and...

IMG_3671
BOOM! Perfect fit! it's a little messy inside, but it holds well and looks good on the outside!IMG_3673
so it sits well and looks nice, but i think i'm going to add a nice silver-y circle around the clock to bring the silver look into the face and for just a little more support. i'll post more pics as the progress continues! thanks SO VERY much for all of the fabulous support!! :D
IMG_3675

Heather

Absolutely stunning and amazing!

Embala

Awesome. I follow this thread with joy, admiration and respect!

Tamarien ChangeStone

It is so nice to watch the process.
Thank you for sharing ! I look forward to all your posts.

If I knew how to start a Thread, I would.

Night_Tanem

@TamarienChangeStone just push the button "new discussion" on the top of this page.

Leanan

It is fascinating and a bit awe-inspiring to watch how this grand project proceeds!

Llannen

I just saw this-incredible and beyond words beautiful. I love learning about new techniques and can't wait to try the foil tape, I'm sure I'll figure out something to use it on....

Love that there is a photo of your daughter in one shot! Too cute. And the woods outside your window-inspiration?

Tamarien ChangeStone

Eagerly awaiting updates.

How is it progressing SHADOWFIRE ? I am surprised you have any spare time at all with a baby.

Shadowfire

@Tamarien, it has been a very slow progress, the last few weeks. the Holidays always get really busy for my family, and since i own my own earcuff-making business, Halloween-to-Christmas is one of my busiest times. but no worries, my Clock Tower is still sitting at its current state of ALMOST-FINISHED, and is taking up most of my craft area, so it'll be finished before too much longer!! i seriously think that only a couple more days-worth of working on it, and it'll be finished... a few more small details to create, and a LOT of gluing, and that's it! it's just a matter of FINDING that time, now! and as far as Spare-time with my baby? he's freakin' awesomely easy to take care of, so i'm able to get a LOT done, house-work and free-time! i even have time to stay fit, and am at the healthiest, lowest weight i've ever been at, only 6 months after giving birth! so i'm hoping to finish it sometime soon. now that Halloween is over, i've tackled a couple of other projects that have been waiting for me, and now this is back as the top TO-FINISH item on my list! so, hopefully soon i'll have another update to post. thanks for the patience!! :D

Tamarien ChangeStone

Soooooo willing to wait. My many,many decades have taught me patience - of a sort. With people and children - endless. (I helped raise nine children later in my widowed years) I love them muches.

With technology, HA, Not At All.

Did you ever figure out a picture - or way - to represent all the tribes ?
. .

Embala

ooooch.... Hoped for an update. Happy to read there will be one somewhen soon *is so curious for the finished piece*

Take your time, Shadowfire! :)