ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Oh see, can you say?

Warp Graphics

Oh see, can you say?

Recently, there's been a push to update the Who's-Who section of Elfquest.com, and a trio of helpers - David Mizejewski, and Heather and Rob Beschizza - have put in a lot of work. Let's take a moment to send them kudos! There's a way to go yet, but you should check it out all the…

Read the full story here

Tavie

Thanks, trio of helpers!

Llannen

Super excited to have this....thank you each and everyone!

RedheadEmber

This is too cool! B-)

Just one Little... glitch: When you click the 'Moonshade' link on the 'Wolfriders' sub-page you get redirected to the front page. However, if you click the link on Strongbow's profile, you get to Moonshade's profile. Some sort of way to say that the only way to get to Moonshade is "through Strongbow", so to speak?

RichardPini

And - for now - the job is complete. Currently there are something over 120 entries in the Elfquest.com "Who's Who" and they all have pronunciation guides. Let us know what you think. (As for the remaining umpty-hundred characters awaiting their own spotlights, they're in the pipeline!)

RichardPini

RedheadEmber said: Just one Little... glitch: When you click the 'Moonshade' link on the 'Wolfriders' sub-page you get redirected to the front page. However, if you click the link on Strongbow's profile, you get to Moonshade's profile.

Please post this as a new thread in the "Meta" category (which is where I think bug reports go) so Rob can take a look.

RedheadEmber

Right, on it.

Now for two other question, one serious, the other... not so much.

1: Are the bios gonna be linked with the various character threads?

2: What's with the frequent use of those 'pinup calendar' pictures? ;)

RichardPini

RedheadEmber said: 1: Are the bios gonna be linked with the various character threads?

I'm sure Rob will correct me on this, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess not, as there's no easy way to link any time someone starts up a new thread (separate from the "official" Who's Who posts, I mean). I like to think of the Who's Who being a central sort of resource, to which posters can link from within the threads they create, if they so choose. Make it a one-way street, so to speak.

RedheadEmber said: 2: What's with the frequent use of those 'pinup calendar' pictures?

There's a long-standing request from Rob and Heather and David for hi-res art files - all of which I have here in the archive. We're working on getting the best possible illustrations for every character bio. "Best possible" refers to both the quality of the art and the quality of the scan. We can't help it if Wendy rather spectacularly defined a number of the elves visually via those calendars, now, can we? O:-)

Tavie

Is Tyleet missing a name pronunciation? (I see one for her soul name, but not for "Tyleet" itself!)

Just wondering because Tyleet is one of the few characters whose name I mispronounced in my head for years before finding out the real pronunciation!

@RichardPini fixed it!

Rob

RichardPini said:
RedheadEmber said: 1: Are the bios gonna be linked with the various character threads?

I'm sure Rob will correct me on this, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess not, as there's no easy way to link any time someone starts up a new thread (separate from the "official" Who's Who posts, I mean). I l

The limb creaks ominously! Right now, this is what's happening:

• The bios each get an automatically-generated new thread when you comment on the bio. e.g. Dewshine's, here: http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/8122/dewshine-elfquest#latest

• There are the existing, long-running character threads. Here's Dewshine's: http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/3377/dewshine-s-den#latest

These can be merged together! So once we've tested it to make sure it all works right, with the merged character threads being linked from the official bios, we're cookin' with elf gas.

One more thing...

• A bunch of special forum accounts for many major characters will be created and assigned as the "creator" of these own threads instead of "System". This means whenever the thread is surfaced in discussion, it'll have the character's portrait in the listings and on social shares instead of the generic system logo or the Warp Wolf.

Like this:

dewshine

Rob

So the end result, hopefully, will be everything preserved as it is, but neatly linked together from the bios. And of course people can still start new threads to discuss particular aspects of the character, apart from the 'official' thread that gets linked to from the bio.

RedheadEmber

Rob said: A bunch of special forum accounts for many major characters will be created and assigned as the "creator" of these own threads instead of "System". This means whenever the thread is surfaced in discussion, it'll have the character's portrait in the listings and on social shares instead of the generic system logo or the Warp Wolf.

So basically the characters in question will "be commenting" - so to speak - in their own threads? Nice! B-)

Embala

It's nice to see the bios updated and connections linked together. I'd like to pay tribute to the laborious, well done job.

The phonetic transcriptionand the "example words" are very helpful to get an imagination of the right tune of names, especially when one tends to pronounce it according to their mother language ... like I did much too often.

Diana

Heheh, didn't know Rain was half-troll XD

Delhya

I love how the Wolf friends are included on their Wolfriders bios! This is great little tid-bit and very appreciated! <3 I look forward to seeing more as it grows.

Rob

Just done a test with Windkin: http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/8106/

His thread should now be appended to the character bio at http://www.elfquest.com/windkin/

And! Have Windkin as the OP/index portrait. SEEMS to have worked...

Tynami

Looks fantastic! On Venka, I noticed granddaughter is misspelled.

Heather

Tynami said: Looks fantastic! On Venka, I noticed granddaughter is misspelled.

Fixed. Cheers!

RedheadEmber

Gotta say the pronounciation of Teir was a big eye (or should I say ear?) opener for me. I'd always pronounced it as rhyming with 'their'.
Thinking about it I should've figured there was something wrong with that, because then the punny title for HY 27 wouldn't work.
Really can't guess who came up with that, BTW! !Adar

RichardPini

RedheadEmber said: Really can't guess who came up with that, BTW!

:-$