ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elfquest at Columbia U

Warp Graphics

Elfquest at Columbia U

Three weeks and counting! Here are the details: Butler Library at Columbia University 116th St and Broadway, New York, New York 10027 Tuesday, October 7 at 6:00 pm You're invited to the grand opening reception of this exhibition, which features materials from Columbia's comics archives. A brief discussion in 523 Butler will kick off theā€¦

Read the full story here

RichardPini

October's going to be really busy! Columbia and the EQ Gallery Edition within a week or two of each other? AYOOAH!

Heather

Lots to howl about!

Thornbrake

Cannot wait for this!!!

Tavie

I'm so pleased this is happening at a time where I can get up to Columbia! I'll be there!

Heather

Woo hoo! Looks like we will get to see you again @Tavie!

Tavie

Heather said: Woo hoo! Looks like we will get to see you again @Tavie!

Can't wait (to see what you'll be WEARING!)

Heather

@tavie Working on picking it out already.

JoeChrisMorris

Is it ok to go to this Columbia event - is it open to the general public, like shows at the Postcrypt there?]

Thornbrake

@JoeChrisMorris, it IS open to the public. See you there!

RichardPini

Today's the day, and it's already full even before the doors open this evening. See you there! Here's more.

RichardPini

Columbia EQ pano

By the time we got to the exhibit space, it was already just about packed.

RichardPini

Comics at Columbia, October 7, 2014. Nearly 200 individual pieces of art and memorabilia on display, covering nearly 250 years of comics. Elfquest is represented in several areas - the process of creating art, fan culture, cosplay. Here (shot in a quiet moment pre-opening) are some fan expressions - including a couple Holt-zines, a model of Petalwing, and the original issue of Silver Surfer that (it may fairly be said) precipitated the entire shebang!

expo 2

RichardPini

Comics at Columbia, October 7, 2014. Comics have contributed mightily to the evolution and expansion of cosplay. One of the most notable examples is, of course, Wendy's portrayal of Red Sonja from 1976-1978 in the legendary "Sonja and the Wizard Show." Here, the original costume as well as plans for its construction.

expo 3

RichardPini

Comics at Columbia, October 7, 2014. We are deeply indebted to show organizer Karen Green for choosing a personal Elfquest story to round out the exhibit. All six pages of "Dreamtime - Part ?" comprise the final case, with this commentary on the explanatory card:

"In a fitting coda to an exhibition about the significance, impact and history of the comics medium, this story depicts artist Wendy Pini within her creation. Her conversation with elves Cutter and Skywise, twenty years after the beginning of the series, provides a meditation on the complex relationships that develop among a comics creator, her characters and her fans. Both characters and fans become like family, with the same possibilities for love and dysfunction, as well as the locus for her legacy. ... Invoking legendary cartoonists Carl Barks, Joe Shuster, and Hal Foster; referring obliquely to recent personal events, such as the death of her dog and her hip surgery; acknowledging the role of husband Richard in marshaling their work and their fans; even giving a nod to fanzines and fanfiction, Pini ends by depicting, quite literally, the cartoonist's immersion in his or her own created world."

expo 1

Nightsea

I'm curious to know what the comic strip this refers to might look like; any scan of it to post here?

Fitting with the analytic theme of the exhibition, there is also a particularly poignant strip in which Wendy Pini enters her own comic and uses it as a platform to comment on her life and the meaning of her art.

I am glad that cool stuff will be preserved (wrapstuff?) for the future.
--NS

RichardPini

Nightsea said: I'm curious to know what the comic strip this refers to might look like; any scan of it to post here?

It's from the "Dreamtime" sequence, and is the last episode, "Dreamtime - Part ?" It's available in the "Read It" section here, where all the EQ comics can be seen.

Nightsea

Ahh thanks, Richard. I thought it might be that, but since it didn't give more detail in the article, wasn't sure. Glad to know I haven't missed more Elfmom visits inside EQ.
:bz
--NS

Tavie

Here are a few of EQ-related shots I got last night. A really fun event and so great to meet up with pals @Thornbrake, @Rob, @Heather, and YNGVAR FOLLING - all the way from Norway, a fan who I've "known" online for more than 20 years!

fansheet
youlittleshit
bikini
pinis&karen
elfpop

RichardPini

I always enjoy seeing Tavie... 8-X

Tavie

=)) =)) =))

=P~

Thornbrake

Thanks for posting pics @Tavie!! Especially that last one of @RichardPini. =P~

Embala

This looks like a splendid exhibition! Thank you for sharing photos.

Heather

If you didn't get to attend Comics at Columbia: Past, Present, Future - Exhibition Opening Night Event, here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJl2L8UQXGI

Embala

Thank you for the video, Heather!