ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Troll Diet?

Saint_Parallelogram

Was wondering about all things about the troll diet. Greymung's trolls in particular probably had a a heavily fungal/vegetarian diet with fairly little meat, practically the only source being cave slugs and the odd Wolfrider trade in meat.
Because Guttlekraw's trolls braved the surface, they probably had more protein. Wonder if that gave them an edge in battle? Any thoughts on the troll diet, except that it's possible to grow plump while being practically vegan? :)

lunakat

Things we know they ate:
mushrooms
moss mush
dreamberry wine
the odd mastadon (early trolls were shown killing a wooly mammoth like thing in a pit trap)
probably some elf... if we are talking northern trolls

Thornbrake

Calling our mistress of all things green-skinned, @Trollbabe, to weigh in on this important topic. $-)

Heather

Well, we do know the forest trolls had to know something of baking and meat. Picknose's flashbacks shows his forefathers hunting meat with pit traps and later they did trade with the Wolfriders (so they probably weren't very vegan at all!)
And don't forget this moment!
Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 10.19.29 PM

Thornbrake

See, I always thought that comment was a reflection of Sun Villager cuisine more than trolls. Although now that I say that, I can TOTALLY see Old Maggoty baking up a some beetle grub and slime mold pot pies.

Heather

Thornbrake said: Old Maggoty baking up a some beetle grub and slime mold pot pies.

And deer! I could totally see that.
Interesting you thought of it as the Sun Village, to me I always pictured the trolls being pretty heavy meat eaters and bakers, especially with those fires! Not to mention the yeast down there! Bread makers paradise!