ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

elf quest movie

NoodlesKraft

who has read the two scripts for the elfquest movie and thought,"maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing if they never made the movie?"
i can't stomach the thought of all those songs!! are they trying to be disney?

Night_Tanem

Do you have a link by any chance?

RedheadEmber

The only scripts I've seen are those two posted here on the page (together with all the DEQ) and as far as I've noticed there was no songs.

However, I kinda like the idea of the songs from the old Wolfrider's Reflection CD being used for a movie.
Though I kinda have a problem figuring out how 'Catatonia Country Rag' would fit in...

Embala

There's an old discussion thread about the storyboards ...

http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/7495/elfquest-story-boards

... not sure whether it was the only one. Only a few comments - maybe its interesting for you nevertheless, NoodlesKraft.

Heather

@NoodlesKraft-Which music are you talking about?

Blue_Coyote

I think NoodlesKraft is talking about the original movie story boards (which I recently reread) and they both have these Disneyesque song interludes, which I agree are way too silly and much in line with the failed Saturday-morning cartoon idea. I could see using some of the songs from Wolfrider's Reflection as sort of background music or definitely over the credits, but it would just be too cheesy otherwise. It would hurt my heart to see Elfquest dumbed down like that, taking the teeth and spirit out of it and making it sappy. I'd love to see it given the Miyazaki treatment, I always felt like Princess Mononoke really had the heart and feel of what I wanted in an Elfquest movie.
Does anyone know if there are updated plans/thoughts on the movie front? I just found all the stuff online and have been reading in the forums but this was the first recent mention of the movie and I was wondering.

RedheadEmber

I always thought 'Children of the Fall' would work well for a intro song, and 'The Hunt' for the song with the credits.

Blue_Coyote

Ohh I found a bunch of the old songs on youtube! I kinda think "Children of the Fall" would go better over the credits, I'd like some good "soundtracky" music, instrumentals (preferably with a lot of drums and cool woodwinds) for the rest of the movie. I don't really think songs with words would work so well, maybe a song about trekking through the desert as a montage thing... but really I think the music should be very much "in the background" and not trying to upstage the art. Also why I want it animated, we love it for the art, the beauty of Wendi's lines and the grace of the characters. I wouldn't even want it CG unless they made great effort to keep with the style of her art (although CG worries me with the character designs it could drop into Uncanny Valley really quickly).
What about using Kickstarter to fund it? That way they could keep total creative control and not have to compromise the story or art to please some bean-counter. I'd donate... hell I'd send in my portfolio! (I'm studying animation right now at uni)

Blue_Coyote

Eeeee! Just found this trailer they put together with the music from Akira https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHaH428nNKw&list=PLvCH52hSCGot_WjfjW9zb7wqUEcNgqqfv&index=20
This^ this^ This^ exactly what I was thinking of!! If the vocals are more like part of the music and less "singing exposition" it would work for Elfquest, less Elton John and more John Williams (think Duel of the Fates)

RedheadEmber

The reason I thought "Children of the Fall" with fit best at the beginning and "The Hunt" with the credits is that CotF talks about the mystery of where the elves came from, whereas TH is a confirmation of what the Wolfriders are.

Blue_Coyote

True, I hadn't thought of that, I was just thinking CotF had that slow feel that would be good for credits (and it's longer too).

NoodlesKraft

i really do not like the elfquest music.
if there had to be any, i wouldn't mind instumental

RedheadEmber

The main score of course would be instrumental, bit hard to hear what the characters are saying if there's also singing going on. It's not all the songs that would work: Petalwing's song would probably get on everybody's nerves and 'Catatonia Country Rag' is just too silly, but using them instrumentally (not sure what the right expression is) at the right times.

NoodlesKraft

yeah......

RedheadEmber

On the other hand; not even sure if they're allowed to use the songs...

Brandnewfan

I think the only studios capable of doing EQ justice on screen are one of the heavy hitters of japanese animation. They GET that balance of "life" that Elfquest needs to be true to the Comic. In the west we tend to put things in convenient marketable boxes and cut/add to cater to specific demographics. It happens with all entertainment, but I feel it's less of an issue with adaptations in Japan.

TWILIGHTFROST

If wendy and richard own the rights to the music they wrote they have the say whether or not to use it in the movie. I've been a fan for a long time and in my opinion the songs i read in the comics and the songs i heard on the reflections cd, it just wouldn't be a wolfriders movie without them. Disneyesque be damned. Some fans would like to remain true to the spirit and flavor of elfquest and what it means to be a wolfrider Ayoooooooooaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

lunakat

I agree with noodlecraft. I think they were trying to go Disney- and were simultaneously dumbing down the story. I'm glad they didn't make either one of those particular films. I think it had to do with the time period and what was expected of animation back then. For an animated movie, songs were kind of standard.

For what it's worth though- Wendy can sure storyboard. The story itself aside, the drawings were great.

lunakat

i also think the cd put out with the songs on it is pretty bad... Not that the singing was bad, but the style just made me cringe. It was the same effect as hanging out in one too many, woman-centric drum circles.

jaRf

As far as I saw the material my two complaints were mainly about the Disneyish dancing and singing. You know, this typical sudden outbreaks of unreasoned dancing and singing. Which is one point why I avoid the Disney company.
The other one was that Rayek was depicted far too plain and simple. He has most character development, is multifarious, complex and definitely not some nasty brute or evildoer.
I can't remember any music though, will check the linked stuff here. I only remember Julia Ecklar's (?) filk songs but these were made quite some time ago. Probably instrumental music makes most sense for any scenes with dialog.

Anyway, I still would very much welcome an ElfQuest movie that lives up to the comic. Not too many simplifications :| , fantasy with teeth (PG+ rating?) and 6 hours time frame would be just fine. :)

lunakat

If they do a movie, they should do the original quest, but in two parts.

The first should be book 1. It's self contained.

Part 2 should be books 2-3. Book 2 is mostly introduction introduction to the quest. Books 3 and 4 are where the meat of everything happens.

RichardPini

NoodlesKraft said: i really do not like the elfquest music.
if there had to be any, i wouldn't mind instumental

The "Wolfriders' Reflections" music was produced as a filk project; it was never intended to have movie application.

TWILIGHTFROST

awwwwwwwwwww well that bites ....was looking forward to one of the songs