ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

A new look at FutureQuest...

Knightbird

This dawned on me this morning. "Who Stays, Who Goes" crossed my mind and like 'a kid in a candy store' it hit me. Recalling this scene from FutureQuest right out of 'Metamorphosis'. The last page, it hinted at his daughter being Jink...maybe, just maybe Jink in the link to finding his daughter...Ember.

last page1

lunakat

So maybe it's not Jink who is the daughter of the master of the Palace- maybe it's Ember? That would be interesting. But how would she have lived that long- and where would she be hiding all this time?

Knightbird

lunakat said: But how would she have lived that long- and where would she be hiding all this time?

That is the Magical Question???

Embala

I'm up for strange thoughts tonight ... ^^

lunakat said: But how would she have lived that long
The Palace influence removed/diluted her wolf blood like the magic pool did with Kahvi?

lunakat said: and where would she be hiding all this time?
Disguised as Humans? ... Mender had some experiance with it - and Jink proves mastership. ;)

RedheadEmber

:bz

travelbug

Interesting thought. :) We have all assumed that Jink is the daughter of the palace chief,
but it could be possible that she is the one who can find the daughter instead. Why not?

Knightbird

With that in mind...does it change the meaning of this??

other page

lunakat

it would just mean that that's definitely Cutter.

sulken

and Jink could be his adopted child.

Dunno, to show a picture of her (Jink) but meaning someone completly different (Ember) as a red herring is a bit... stupid? Lazy?

wingthing

Cheating.

Delhya

Interesting. This will be fun to chew on. ^_^

Eyeshigh

I always thought Jink to be Skywise's daughter. Mostly because of her hair. When Jink was published we got lost of hints about the special bond he and Timmain had/ have, not that i believe they Recognize, but it made me think he would recognize some one.... Maybe Aroree... and Jink was indeed adopted, for some reason, by Cutter.
My hopes are because Skywise flew of with the Palace, leaving his child with Cutter, but it could be another reason.....

travelbug

Isn't there a Wendy-drawn picture of Timmain and Skywise with a sending star between them called "Recognition"?
I printed it out from some website years ago, I still have it somewhere.

I always assumed Jink were their child because of that picture

travelbug

sulken

my theory (already posted it in another thread): Jink is Skywise and Timmain's daughter. After they die Cutter adopts her, at one point, because he's so troubled by his memories of his lost loved ones, Jink erases his memories. Who knows, maybe even his wolfblood, so he can later become the master of the palace

Eyeshigh

I think Cutter will give up his wolfblood, maybe all the wolfriders will. We know Moonshade is struggling with mortality at the moment and i think Strongbow would rather be with her then die, but i could be wrong. Something very bad will happen in FQ, but what i can and will not guess, because what ever i think of, i don't like it! :((
Still, i am not sure if Skywise will Recognize Timmain, there is too much respect or distance between them.... but it is hinted.... i feel that she is more a teacher or mother to him.

Knightbird

There is a possibilty that Cutter looses his wolfblood because of his involvement with the Palace. Just another one of those changes. I was thinking that maybe the 'father' who haunts Jink is not the same as the Master of the Palace. The end of Jink reminds me a little of the dream Zhantee had in Dreamtime. Just some random thoughts.

travelbug

I think the palace itself might erase the wolfblood

lunakat

It made the Preservers and Trolls immortal. And smart. Before hanging out in the Palace, they were just insects and apes.

lunakat

Eyeshigh said: Moonshade is struggling with mortality at the moment and i think Strongbow would rather be with her then die, but i could be wrong

What a dilemma- to live forever with the woman you love, or to die. I don't know how anyone could make such a choice! Seriously Strongbow- get with the program.

Eyeshigh said: Still, i am not sure if Skywise will Recognize Timmain, there is too much respect or distance between them.... but it is hinted.... i feel that she is more a teacher or mother to him.

But that wouldn't matter to recognition. No matter the relationship between two people, recognition is biological imperative to mate. It doesn't matter if two people like each other, are compatible as lifemates, want to have kids, are mortal enemies, etc.. It just strikes.

Knightbird said: he end of Jink reminds me a little of the dream Zhantee had in Dreamtime. Just some random thoughts.

How so? Do tell!

sulken said: my theory (already posted it in another thread): Jink is Skywise and Timmain's daughter. After they die Cutter adopts her, at one point, because he's so troubled by his memories of his lost loved ones, Jink erases his memories. Who knows, maybe even his wolfblood, so he can later become the master of the palace

That seems most likely to me as well. Jink is very similar to Skywise (behavior and looks), but with many of the skills and abilities of Timmain. She's able to shape-shift pretty effortlessly.

Knightbird

Knightbird said: The end of Jink reminds me a little of the dream Zhantee had in Dreamtime.

Sorry about that...not the end of Jink, the end of FutureQuest from Vol. 2. It involved Jink, so I thought it was her series. FutureQuest had more of a dramatic ending.

Zhantee talks about the great 'no' . It is Rayek who encourages Zhantee to go to forbidden heights. It is Jink who is kept from the Palace by an elven force in a vision Aurek puts her in (something like that). Again reminding me of Zhantee's great 'no'.

Eyeshigh

@lunakat, i know it doesn't matter, it is pure instinct. :\">
I guess we just have to wait and see. Can elves Recognize multiple partners? I know they can Recognize each other again. And in case of Recognition not forfilled!!! they can Recognize another. But Timmain already has Recognized some one (HY). Or was that just a spin-off.....
I do think Jink is Skywises daughter or relative by blood, but as for the mother... omg!!!!! could also be the daughter of Yun and a Wavedancer?

MultiFacets

Zarhan Recognized other elves repeatedly, even though Rahnee only Recognized him, and so did Greywolf.

And yay, other people who think Jink is Skywise's and Timmain's daughter! It would explain the guilt Jink feels in erasing his memories; they were the only wolfish thing left to him.

Eyeshigh

I must have missed that, were does it say Zarhan Recognized more then one person? I skipped almost all the non-Wendy stories when they were first published, but now i am trying to catch up ;)
And i always thought the early Wolfriders had more cubs because they had more wolfblood in them.

Saint_Parallelogram

Zarhan's multiple Recognitions are in The Blood of Ten Chiefs' short story anthologies, not all of which are canon, Eyeshigh.
The anthologies are out of print now, so many of the fans never read them.

Tam

Zarhan's Recognitions can be seen in the BoTC novel Wolfsong...I just read one where he Recognized Wreath just after she Recognized Prey-Pacer (which I personally find preposterous), but also discusses his other Recognitions.

I figured the early Wolfriders had more cubs because they needed numbers. Nowadays, they don't need cubs so much, so they don't reproduce as much.

Eyeshigh

I will reread them, this weekend i had done so online, but maybe i missed one or two issues... ;)

And i do think children in or out of Recognition are born more often when needed. Just like it is with the Go-Backs. The needed the numbers incase they lost some in the fight.

A few minutes later: ok, mistery solved, it in the novels.... haven't read those at all. Too bad they aren't published online!