ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Powers Skipping Generations.

RedheadEmber

Recently I noticed a bit of a thing with specific powers skipping generations.

Redlance is referred to as "grandson of a treeshaper."
Mender is the grandson of Rain
And just look at the rockshapers in Sorrow's End:

We had Yurek, his granddaughter - Alekah, her grandson - Tekshu, and his granddaughter - Ahdri.

In fact the only example I can think of in which a power got directly inherited by the next generation is Skimmer and Snakeskin, both healers. (Skimmer was a healer, right?)

Embala

Right. Skimmer was a healer. ;)

It could be due to Recognition.
- The first Recognition brings in other qualities to balance the child.
- The second Recognition brings back the magic skill by choosing a mate with the same latent abilities.

That is ... IF elfin genetics would work partly similar to human genetics. Wendy insisted more than once that this is not the case.

Other thought: When there is already a rockshaper ... the offspring need not be one.
Later this rockshaper is probably dead - and in the next generation a replacement is needed.

Recognition knows ^^

RedheadEmber

Embala said: Other thought: When there is already a rockshaper ... the offspring need not be one.
Later this rockshaper is probably dead - and in the next generation a replacement is needed.

That was sorta my thought too. Of course with Rain and Mender... it would have come in rather handy if the Wolfriders had had a healer when Redlance first got hurt by the humans.

Leanan

RedheadEmber said: In fact the only example I can think of in which a power got directly inherited by the next generation is Skimmer and Snakeskin, both healers.

Well, there are Tyldak and Windkin...

Embala

Gliding seems to be a common ability to the Gliders - similar to sending for the Wolfriders. A tribal rather than an individual skill.

... with Winnowill as an exception to the rule.

Delhya

RedheadEmber said: That was sorta my thought too. Of course with Rain and Mender... it would have come in rather handy if the Wolfriders had had a healer when Redlance first got hurt by the humans.

I think even if Newstar would have had the healing abilities she would have been to young to use them and Wing was just a babe.

RedheadEmber

Delhya said: I think even if Newstar would have had the healing abilities she would have been to young to use them and Wing was just a babe.

And then the power would still have skipped a generation.

Heather

Leanan said: Well, there are Tyldak and Windkin...

And Leetah and Suntop. And Sunstream and Korafay. And Rayek and Venka.

RedheadEmber

Heather said: And Leetah and Suntop. And Sunstream and Korafay. And Rayek and Venka.

With those it's not the same power.

Heather

*shrugs* It's all power. Just like Winnie said "flesh-shaping and rock shaping" it's all the same.

RedheadEmber

But that wasn't the point of this thread. The point of it was that I found it rather interesting that when a specific power is 'passed down' in a family it tends to skip generations.

And sometimes it just turns up completely random. Jarrah and Ingen didn't have magic. Nor Toorah and Suntoucher. Not to mention Trof from the Go-Backs; pretty sure his parents, or grandparents, or great-grandparents, didn't have magic either.

travelbug

Merolen, a firstcommer and high one, had huge fireshaping magic. He could control big wildfires.
His son Enlet had a fireshaping magic that was somewhat smaller. And his grandson Zarhan Fastfire had a fireshaping magic smaller than Enlet's.
Zarhan sensed that Anaya, his daughter with Cheseri, would have the firemagic as well. She was the only child of his who inherited his magic.

Its the only example I can think of where the same magic goes through the generations in a family.
Other than Skimmer and Snakeskin, and Timmorn and Rahnee who had a bit of Timmain's selfshaping magic (but Timmorn and Rahnee wasn't able to shape themselves into other forms like Timmain, so it doesn't count, I think)

RedheadEmber

I kinda think that maybe the skipping is the keep the elves stronger. Take the healers in Sorrow's End:

For many years they didn't have a prober healer, just Toorah (and possibly others before her) with her herbs and needles. During that time people still died from mundane reasons: Alekah got a fever, Tekshu got bitten by a rattletail...
Then Leetah was born, and after Thiro died from being kicked in the head by a zwoot she came into her powers and for 600 years nobody died in Sorrow's End which, as we've seen, lead the the Sunfolk being overly dependant on her magic.
By the time she decided to leave Sorrow's End to look for Cutter Rainsong's news that her unborn child had healing powers helped Leetah not feeling too bad about it, but the villagers still had to wait some years for Mender's powers to mature, this together with Dart beginning to train the Jackwolfriders probably helped with hardening the Sunfolk up a little.
Later, after the Go-Backs attacked Mender still couldn't heal everyone, and during the Long Wait they couldn't very well pull him out of his cocoon for every tiny scratch and sore someone got.
It's often said that Recognition knows, but just how much does it know? Did it not only know that the Sunfolk would need a new healer, but also that they needed a few years without a healer in order to stop being overly dependant on the magic?

travelbug

I think recognition knows everything :) its purpose must be to complete the tribe.
What powers are needed, how many new elves a tribe needs, which parents can make a strong talented cub (but magically and otherwise)

But you know, as the Sunfolk and Wolfriders barely had one healer at times, the Wavedancers seem a bit overloaded when they had 3 at the same time (Snakeskin, Skimmer, Skimback) if Reef's powers awaken, they will be 3 healers again in one tribe.
But maybe its more dangerous living in water?

RedheadEmber

I think I remember Wendy stating somewhere that she isn't too fond of the idea of the Wavedancers having so many healers, while also making it very clear that Korafay isn't a healer - so no powers passed on to a grandchild here.

travelbug

Maybe to many healers make it a bit to safe to be exiting ?

But Korafay is a floater/glider and acording to Reef :"a true Wavedancer". That's a pretty good magic in itself :)
Reef's comment nakes me wonder if he remembers the very first wavedancers. Maybe he's be really really old?
Wendy not liking so many healers in a tribe, may be why Reef's powers are asleep. They're not really needed at the moment anyway

RedheadEmber

Maybe the first Wavedancers were Gliders? Another group who rejected Voll's plan of hiding themselves away, but who ended up hiding away anyway, just underwater instead of within a mountain...

Embala

travelbug said: the Wavedancers seem a bit overloaded when they had 3 at the same time (Snakeskin, Skimmer, Skimback)
Actually they didn't have 3 healers. Snakeskin refused to make use of his (latent) healing powers and preferred to be a coralshaper.
Surge forced him to come into his healing powers somewhen after Skimmer's death by committing suicide (well... almost).

travelbug

I remember Embala :) but unused powers are still powers

Embala

;)