FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

i made a crappy cutter clay figure

NoodlesKraft

16118_933725553313266_3559003225560394651_n
1010487_933725609979927_1562122757980226331_n
10268459_933725693313252_6550431484247967052_n

NoodlesKraft

i know it looks awful, but i still wanted to post it. ( New Moon got bent out of shape when i baked it in the oven.)

lunakat

That looks pretty cool, actually!

Rob

Love it. Gets the proportions just right, too!

Tamarien ChangeStone

Love it ! It has a great little "Wizards" feel to it.

lunakat

I like how you look and look- but can't see is face. It's psychedelic. Cutter in a 1960
s acid trip animation! But still Cutter.

NoodlesKraft

thanks everyone....i wasn't too happy with how it turned out, (i was just glad it was recognizable as Cutter )
your comments have made me feel pretty good
:)

Leanan

I like it!

Embala

I agree with the other ones. This figure is Cutter without doubt. It has good proportion and shows attention to characteristic details like the chief's knot, the wide pants and the pattern on New Moon's sheath.

I see it like the artwork of someone who starts to show first drawings. In fact it's comparable to a drawing of Cutter in a non-Wendy style. It's something of your own, NoodlesKraft. It adds variety to the Scroll. You should be proud of this start!

Thank you for sharing with us. :)

Thornbrake

Neat-O! I just bought some sculpting clay to try to make some Elfquest statues. Any tips or advice for me? What kind of tools did you use the get details?

NoodlesKraft

thornbrake, i don't really have much to offer in the way of advice, ( i'm a novice myself! :) )
all i can really say is don't use clay that's too soft,and i wouldn't suggest using FIMO. i used FIMO to make my Cutter, and the colors bleed!!
for the details.....i actually tried something new, which i don't think i'll do again....i used a sharpie marker on my clay figure after i baked it....
and the number one thing is.....have fun, and try to resist getting mad and squishing your figure up because it's not turning out the way you want it to....

Thornbrake

Thanks! I will let you knowhow it goes.

RichardPini

Not crappy at all!

I've seen FIMO used before mostly for stuff like jewelry beads and such; it seems to work well for layering colors and then extruding (sort of like millefiore glass). Have you ever used sculpey? We have a few figurines here (some EQ, some not) done in sculpey; the medium seems to be able to hold an amazing fineness of detail.

NoodlesKraft

Thanks Richard! I think I'm going to give Sculpey a try.....

Heather

That is so awesome!

Elwing

That's odd, about the fimo bleeding. I've used FIMO for 30 years, and I have also used Sculpey, but I would prefer FIMO. Anyway, if you have technical questions I may be albe to help, so let me know. Also, keep on going! Great start!

Embala

Elwing said: Also, keep on going! Great start!
Dito!

Elwing

It's odd because I never have FIMO bleeding at all. Colors always stay nice and separate, which is why it works so well for caning and layering. The only real problem I know of is reaction of unbaked FIMO with certain plastics, like polystyrene. Did you make this around a core?

NoodlesKraft

a core?

NoodlesKraft

i don't know what you mean...i just formed everything with my fingers and smooshed them together

NoodlesKraft

:)

Elwing

ah ok, sorry ..I meant, I sometimes form something around a core of aluminum foil or tape-wrapped polystyrene foam to save a bit of FIMO, and to have a basic shape to start with. iron wire for thin parts like fingers works well too.

NoodlesKraft

oh cool...I never heard of that before...thank you. :)

Tamarien ChangeStone

Hell-o NoodlesKraft ! And welcome to the wonderful world of 3D. I have found it to be my one true addiction.

Note on material: Make sure when you by Fimo that it is not the new "soft"; It bleeds, as you say. The technical term is transfer. But with my recent binge of CSI NY I would call it trace. Sorta like the film left on your hands after eating Cheetos. (Yummy !)

Either that or you are lucky enough to have very strong and warm hands - which is both an advantage and a disadvantage. Good strong hands will make it easier to heat up firmer clays but it will also make it hard to mix more than one color clay on a sculpture without a trace of color mixing onto another piece. You can refrigerate your sculpture between layers to slow this down. And washing you hands a lot works very well also. I personally keep baby wipes on my sculpting desk for this reason- to use on hands between colors and to use on tools between colors.

Now ELWING is right about an "armature" to hold full body pieces in place, to save on clay medium, and to prevent loss of pose - since all polymer clays soften as they heat in the oven. I lost myself in armature for two years trying to figure out a mathematical equation for amount of clay vs skeletal structure. Finally I just learned to re-enforce my wire with a two part epoxy putty (see car bondo) I use Magic Sculpt.

http://fav.me/d2a4jh7