ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Any interest in helping or playing an Elf Quest based card game?

TrollHammer

Im working on an Elf Quest port of Magic the Gathering. Im currently up to about 350 cards started, mostly creatures from the series.

Im just seeing how much interest there would be to play or help with a card game based on Elf Quest.

Embala

I'll do my best to help with picture hunting, edits and such, Hammer. :)

And somewhen you'll have a REALLY difficult task - to teach me how to play. ^^

TrollHammer

I kinda we were worming together, we have talked alread, thanks for your support!

At this time, I have plenty of character cards with starter images, but need some ideas for "spells", or rather activities and events in the story that can be described as events in a game, as well as some more artifacts. I have New Moon, Skywise's lodestone, and bearclaw's amulet (but no images for them yet).

On another front, I exprimented with printing some cards. If physical cards were to be printed in a quantity to allow fans to procure them and play, it would be about $1000 in startup costs, and the cards would end up around $0.15 each in materials. As such, with other hurdles, Im focusing on this to be an online play only type game.

The software supports multiple languages, including German and Dutch, however some things will need to be interpreted and typed in.

Still seeing if there is any interest. I figure things slow down around the holidays, but I would still like to know if there are fans who would refuse to play this or are concerned about complexity or other things. By fans for fans!

Embala

It's kinda the wrong time for much picture support - the Advent calendar binds my attention and leisure time. I'd be happy to go on a picture Hunt for you in the new year, Hammer.

About spells ... does "EQ magic" work? Guess the magic of the magic-userswill not fit the purpose, but
- the dark pool of magic that created Madcoil?
- the magic pond that preserved Kahvi?
- the wooden masks created by Redlance to shoo curious Humans away?
- the thorn wall?
- the cocoons in the Forbidden Grove?
- the "spirits" in the rock barrier around Sorrow's End?
EDIT
- Maggoty's sleeping dust
- Bonewoman's smell disguise
- Winnowill's nutrition potion for the rockshapers
- Nonna's painted symbols

TrollHammer

(I know you're busy bringing holiday cheer, Embala, No worries!)

These are just the things that are needed!
- the dark pool of magic that created Madcoil?
I have several 'coils' including Madcoil and Mindcoil, but not the 'pools', which are here and there through the story. I'll have to think how this might be used, perhaps an 'instant' that can allow a player to sort thought their deck and select a 'coil' card?

- the magic pond that preserved Kahvi?
This is good. I had a brief thought about this as it applied to Kahvi, but I wasn't sure how it would work. A artifact pond that allowed any injured creature to be placed there, then be brought back when (conditions) would work better thought. Good idea!

- the wooden masks created by Redlance to shoo curious Humans away?
- the thorn wall?
These would make good Wall creatures: defenders that can't attack, but can block or defend against others.

- the cocoons in the Forbidden Grove?
Hmm, this would take some thought. It's a good place to start, but it will take some development.

- the "spirits" in the rock barrier around Sorrow's End?
Another good Wall example!

EDIT
- Maggoty's sleeping dust
Good, causes a target creature to become tapped (cannot be used until next turn) Would this be an artifact (can be used each turn), or a one-use thing?

- Bonewoman's smell disguise
Good, gives a creature the ability to not be blocked for one turn?

- Winnowill's nutrition potion for the rockshapers
Hmm.... Might key into her ability to keep slaves, such as you have to have this to keep opponent rockshapers as slaves, if you lose this, the rockshapers 'escape'?

- Nonna's painted symbols
This should be added into the game, it's a key thing that 'fills out' the story, as well as many others, but how do they fit it? What effect did they have in the story, other than to allow a common bonding point between Nonna and the Elves? I suppose it might be something that might allow Wolfriders (Green) and Ho'an (white) to 'get along' (IE you can use white mana to summon Green characters), or something? Not sure still....

Embala

I've thrown in Nonna's symbols because of Olbar's quote: "Make me a picture with Graysha with a big belly!" (rather free quote ^^). Could it work the way that the symbols "grant a wish"?

TrollHammer

Stranger things have been printed in the host set. (One in particular was "sing a six word song each turn. You cannot sing the same six words twice") The trick would be to figure out how to create a well defined card with flexibility... it will take some thought. Perhaps in the context of the whole set, a hole will appear that needs a specific thing that will fit it well. Many of the cards I have generated are still blank, just rough drafts without focus, so it's not a big deal yet to have blanks and holes that need filled.

Any more ideas?

(Note: above suggestions are all inputted into the card list. Thanks!)

Shadowfire

well, there's always the ElfQuest Adventure Card Game... we only have to wait until February for that! ;) or is this strictly setting up an EQ-based MTG game?

TrollHammer

@shadowfire
Well, that is something I didnt know. Good on them for getting something out. I started working kn getting something together years ago and didnt get any forward movement until recently. Needless to say, my excitment in my current effort is a little deflated. Im glad theres something going, I hope it brings the interest to Elf Quest and new life I had been hoping for.

Ill probably keep poking along on this, and see where it goes. An online MTG set as it sits now would still be a way for fans around the world to play together, but truthfully, the group putting the kickstarter game together could just do the same with theirs. We will see what happens.

Contact me if you want more info, Ill keep updating on the main thread elsewhere for those thst sre helping, but Ill stop updating this one until I ha e something to show for the effort. Thanks for everyone's time!